Double-barreled CPS gun

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
11ilee

Double-barreled CPS gun

Post by 11ilee » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:27 pm

I was wondering if it was possible to create a double barreled watergun based on the SuperCPS design.

Thanks,
Isaac

aEx155

Re: Double-barreled CPS gun

Post by aEx155 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:50 pm

If you were to create a double-barreled water gun, I'm guessing it be something similar to one of the Monster guns. If you want decent output on both streams, you'd need quite a lot of water, which will get heavy fast, and pumping that much won't be pretty either...

If you were to attempt this, the basic construction would consist of mounting two SuperCPSes together (except for the pump; you only need one) and somehow attaching their triggering valves together. Most likely something with wood and screws. You'd then have to pump it like crazy.

The advantages of a double-barreled watergun are mainly the heavy soaking power. That explains itself. The disadvantages, though, include maneuverability and filling times, both of which are devastating in an actual war.

If I were to go about doing this, I'd simply opt for some long-shot time gun rather than severe-soaking power, simply because it makes more sense (to me).

To sum this up, double-barrels can be done by mounting two guns together, but it's not something that would help very much if you're a team of one, due to the refill times and carrying loads.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:37 pm

You can add a second barrel to all water guns, but for it to be practical you'd need sufficient power and water capacity.

Generally I think double barrel water guns are pointless. If you want two streams, you can make a nozzle with two streams. The simplest solutions very often are the best.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:32 pm

Double barrels are cool, but not all that useful. Basically, for the same combined output, a single stream goes further than two.

Two streams will perhaps spread apart better than one. However, if you want spread, you can just use a multi-stream nozzle.

That said, there is one main advantage. Usually, output is ultimately limited by the pipe and valve diameter. If using larger pipes and valves is impractical, then double barrels will increase output.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:40 am

Um, I would still like to construct a double-barreled CPS watergun so if I was to do so, what other advice would you give me? (I know that constructing one may be completely impractical but despite that I think it could be at the very least a fun project.)

Thanks,
Isaac

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:59 am

Well, what were you thinking of? Splitting the output of one bladder into two streams, or making two SuperCPSes stuck together?

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:03 am

Probably building two SuperCPSes.

Thanks,
Isaac

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:47 am

Ball valve > tee > elbow on each wing of tee > 2 barrels

yes i know it slows the stream down a bit but thats the best i could think of... gnite its 12:50 am
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:59 am

Start with essentially two superCPSes.

Then, between the PC and the firing valve, connect the two barrels.

Remove one of the pumps.

Physically link the two ball valves - bolt torque arms on and join them with a crosspiece. The trigger will thus be like that of the XXP 275.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:08 pm

For building it, you're basically going to want some way to connect two SuperCPSes together, as cantab has said. (This is going to be fairly close to what cantab said, but a little more detailed.)

It's essentially going to be the same construction, but you would put a tee in between the PC connection and the trigger valve on both halves, and another tee to connect them. This is where you would connect your pump's outlet (so pumping would fill both of them).

You would then need some way to operate both of the trigger valves at the same time. Since facing them both inwards/outwards would make them have to turn opposing directions to open, you would have to make sure the handles for the valves are facing the same direction. For connecting them, you could use a more advanced version of what I did here. If you look at the valve, you can see that it has an elbow pushed on top of it. You probably could do something similar, using some more elbows and PVC pipe to link the valves.

Lastly, you would need to mount the two PC cases together, but that's easily done with zip-ties or really bug hose clamps. Be sure to add support between them if they're not close enough.

On a side note, you maight want to add some kind of hose-filling capability, so that you don't have to pump so much water when you have access to a hose. I'm guessing this thing would be the equivalent of a Monster (or some other large CPS gun) (then again, I may be confused), and I know pumping those is horribly long.

Hope that helps.

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:59 am

Okay, I'll try that as soon as I get the materials. I might have some questions during construction, though.

Thanks,
Isaac

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:29 pm

You have to make sure the two chambers are exactly the same, or one will fill faster than the other and you'll have problems.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:21 pm

The two chambers will inevitably fill slightly differently.

However, I don't think that will cause as big problems as one might expect. CPS isn't truly constant, the drop-off is about 20%, so you won't get one chamber full and the other empty.

You might have slightly worse drop-off at the end of the shot; if one chamber is empty first the other has to power both nozzles, one via a bendy path. But that's about it.

The SC PowerPak has three chambers, and they tend not to be exactly the same. The gun works fine anyway.
Arsenal: