Buying Help

Buy, sell, trade, or discuss prices of Super Soakers and water guns here. (For members only)
sasattack

Buying Help

Post by sasattack » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:30 am

Hey, I'm new to the super soaker thing and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I'm participating in a water war at school and was wondering what the best gun would be. I would have to buy something off shelves because it starts to soon to get off ebay.

The water war is more of a stealthy assassin type game. One shot kills, stalk around for 2 days tracking your opponent.

Any help would be great, thanks.

cantab

Re: Buying Help

Post by cantab » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:00 pm

You want something small and concealable, but with enough range to hold your own if you get in a duel. Output isn't important.

Most Super Soakers are unreliable, which is the LAST thing you want in a OHK game. So I'd advise Water Warriors, or the Super Soaker 'XP' range.

The Super Soaker XP 215 is the smallest gun around, so no problems hiding it. But it's short on range - it'll beat a squirt gun, but lose to larger stuff.

Sometimes you see the XP 220 or 240 around. They're not bad; the 220's a little range short. I play Assassins at my University and there have been a LOT of 240s in use.

The small Water Warriors pistols do well. The Sting Ray packs a very good punch for its size. It leaks though :-(

Avoid:

Piston pumpers (guns you don't pressurise). Many do respectably on power, but they're harder to aim.
Water Warriors Jet. It may look compact, but the water just dribbles out, no range at all.

On yeah, bear in mind I get KILLED A LOT in Assassins, so take my advice with a rather large pinch of salt.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:55 pm

If you can conceal something larger, go with a Max-D 2000. The 215 is, as mentioned, also great simply because its the size of a squirt gun with over twice the range (and perhaps at least 5 times the water consumption) Perhaps you could carry both (one as backup) unless you don't have any pockets that can hold a Max-D 2000 without appearing suspicious.

Never, ever use squirt guns unless you somehow lost your other guns and happen to find one sitting around.

If concealment isnt an issue for a particular assault scenario, go for something with good range and/or shock value. The WW Vindicator, Tiger Shark, or maybe SS Flash Flood could work for this. Keep them around the house, preferably hidden in scathered areas you know of as just in case weapons. If you can't buy those guns, stick with the Max-D 2000 for those situations.

Having never played assasins before, it seems that one of the best pieces of advice is as follows. "A suspicious mind is a healthy mind." Always carry something wherever you go, even if its only a water bottle and a sharp pencil. (the pencil for stabbing a hole in the bottle cap, not the target...)

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:46 pm

(Well, the Assassins game I play allows BLUNT pencils with a label saying 'knife' stuck on them to be used as melee weapons.)

The Max-D 2000 is indeed a good weapon while it works. However, mine broke :-(

Squirt guns have their place. You can get ones that are so small they can be hidden in your fist, with the nozzle poked between two fingers, totally invisible to anyone but ready to fire without needing to draw first. Just don't make one your ONLY weapon - and beware they sometimes don't shoot first time because the tubing is full of air.

'Sports cap' water bottles will shoot water if nearly full and squeezed. May have the advantage of not obviously being a weapon. Problem is they shoot a lot of water not very far.

And yeah. Be paranoid. Don't spend more time than you can help in obvious places. Consider taking unusual routes between classes, to/from school, etc. And ALWAYS be armed.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

sasattack

Post by sasattack » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:31 pm

Thanks for the input. Any idea if they sell the xps 215 in stores?

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Argos in the UK have it. Can't speak for any other countries obviously.
Arsenal:

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:06 am

Toys R Us might have it. If not, they'll almost certainly carry a comparable XP or Max-D pistol.

The aesthetics change from year to year, but the functionality is generally the same. You may want to avoid the Max-D water guns because of unreliable triggers, though.