My mini air cannon

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
USSA

Post by USSA » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:32 pm

Just finished what is an extremely small PAC/WBL. The multiple grips and eyepiece all contain air and so while the entire gun (which is still quite accurate) is only about an arms length I have nearly 70 cubic inches of air. The new pnematic valve I've installed also allows for extremely fast release (this may have something to do with the range/speed)

Actual range testing will be done ASAP. (Probably this weekend) however I do know that a small target was obliterated at about 30 feet.

Note: I'll edit in some pics in a while.
Side Note: weird it said I couldn't make a new topic for my first 2 tries.

Jangadance

Post by Jangadance » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:17 pm

Originally posted by USSA@Dec 14 2004, 05:32 PM
Just finished what is an extremely small PAC/WBL. The multiple grips and eyepiece all contain air and so while the entire gun (which is still quite accurate) is only about an arms length I have nearly 70 cubic inches of air. The new pnematic valve I've installed also allows for extremely fast release (this may have something to do with the range/speed)

Actual range testing will be done ASAP. (Probably this weekend) however I do know that a small target was obliterated at about 30 feet.

Note: I'll edit in some pics in a while.
Side Note: weird it said I couldn't make a new topic for my first 2 tries.
[snapback]20235[/snapback]

What kind of valve are you using? Also, what barrel width and is it included in the "arms length" measurement?

I've always been curious whether you guys' air pressure WBLs have anything inbetween the blast of air and the water balloon, or if it just blasts the balloon out alone. Like, is there any platform it sits on our anything? Some pics would be interesting.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:52 am

Most people who make WBLs use some sort of "wadding" to prevent the balloon being fired from popping. What goes recommended most often is a styrofoam cup to the best of my knowledge. Even still, from what I've heard balloons popping in the barrel can still happen and does.

I'd also like to see those pictures and some other information about this small air cannon. I've build my share of small air cannons, I just need to get my second Nerf homemade and that snap-back bolt-action Nerf homemade thing I made months ago working again. Both need repair...

USSA

Post by USSA » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:36 pm

Sorry I've been away on vacation. Yes the barrel is included in the arms length measurement. The trigger valve is a sprinkler valve modified to be a pneumatic. The frame of the gun is 1.5 inches and it contains appoximatly (sp) 70 cubic inches of air. The barrel is one inch (however this still allows for a 3 inch circle of wetness) and I use a half of a plastic bag for wading.

Max range was a about 75 feet.