how to use Bike tubing instead of LRT

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Killi101

how to use Bike tubing instead of LRT

Post by Killi101 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi again. i plan to to make a backpack cps gun. problem is i cant get LRT here but bike tubing is but when i look at pictures of it, it looks like a fire hose tube. i heard that you can use bike tubing instead of LRT but because ive never used either, need some guidence on how i would use it. im probably going to buy my bike tubing from halfords:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_242552

(the link is to the tubing. not the one i think i will need, also need help on which one i need to get^^)

im not even sure where i thought i could use this because i dont think it even expands that much
Water:
dont like drinking much
like to throw it at people

cantab

Re: how to use Bike tubing instead of LRT

Post by cantab » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:22 pm

The Colossus mod, for increasing the power of cylindrical CPS chambers, uses bike tubes. But I'm not sure they'd have the right properties for making a CPS chamber "from scratch". To my knowledge inner tubes are designed to hold pressure without expanding much.

Varying levels of success have been had using layered balloons. The layering is a tedious and tricky process, and you'll need to go for a lot of layers, like about a hundred.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Killi101

Post by Killi101 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:47 pm

oh i have balloons and i know the problems...the problem is i cant buy surgical tubing in 50m lengths, dont have any space...if i had the space i would get some. another problem is i cant buy things from the internet so i have to drive around to get some, know where i could get some? thing is i need high capacity in a cylinder form so balloons wont work for me
also 1 question to CPH builders: does just 1 layer of LRT give a high pressure?
Water:
dont like drinking much

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:51 pm

It's quite thick.

EDIT: Well it is compared to balloons
I'm a dude

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:51 am

One layer won't give a really high pressure, but it should suffice for a lower power gun.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:14 am

It of course depends on how thick the one layer is. From what I know, it's almost impossible to get large-diameter LRT in the UK.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Killi101

Post by Killi101 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:40 am

what about this, i may be able to get it, has a 6mm wall thickness:

http://www.scubadivingstore.co.uk/surgi ... p-846.html
Water:
dont like drinking much

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:23 pm

The wall thickness is 3 mm - half the difference between outside and inside diameter - and the overall dimensions are tiny. If you look at the SuperCPS guide, http://www.sscentral.org/homemade/supercps.html and cross-check against McMaster-Carr, Ben used 3/8" ID, 3/4" OD for the inner layer. And then he added a second layer of LRT, and then bike tubes.

One thing that will limit performance is the diameter of the hose barb that the pressure chamber connects to. This in turn should be the same size as or maybe slightly larger than the ID of the pressure chamber tubing. Even if you have a really thick wall, if the internal diameter is small the blaster will perform badly.
Arsenal:

Killi101

Post by Killi101 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:44 pm

damn i knew it was too good to be true....
what about this:
http://www.pchemlabs.com/product.asp?pid=3177

edit:
forget that... but i had an idea. do you remember Fredcompany's idea to make a rubber spherecial bladder with liquid latex? i think it would be possible to make a cylinder version. i could use the 1/2 vinyl tubing i have as a base, and keep dipping it into the latex until desired wall thickness. do you think it could work?
Last edited by Killi101 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Water:
dont like drinking much

Killi101

Post by Killi101 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:54 pm

ok guys. this may be possible, i emailed the maker: http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/product_151050001.htm and he said it has the same properties as normal natural rubber latex, it can be applied to non-pourus objects like vinyl tubing, and layers can be applied every 20mins. takes 12hrs to dry fully and its awesome so i may try this.
Water:
dont like drinking much

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:13 pm

I still need to get some of that

You could just use a metal or plastic rod coated with vaseline (for ease of removal) as a mould for the centre.

In fact, if this does have the right properties, it would be perfect for making a very high flow CPH. (normally the flow from LRT is limited by the size of the hose barb you can fit it onto) You could make much wider tubing (ie 15mm if you are using 15mm pipe), so you would get the highest flow possible.
Last edited by Fredcompany on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a dude

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:11 pm

That's a great find Killi101! Normally searching for liquid latex only brings up stuff intended for kinky purposes, which I wouldn't trust to have good physical properties.
Arsenal:

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:42 pm

I wonder how much postage for that would cost...
I'm a dude

Killi101

Post by Killi101 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:44 pm

£2.80 uk mainland i plan to use my 1/2in vinyl tubing, it sounds a bit big but i think it would be good, and dependance on tubing barb will be less a problem. i really think this might work, you could manufacture to your own length, and make your own wall thickness, id, od and what ever else you possibly need. if you look at the website there is even colour changers! also since metal and plastic are non-pourus you dont really need vasiline.

EDIT: i have alot of questions about the LRT

1: would an id of 1/2in be too big?
2: with this id would an od of 1in be too much
3: with these figures would 3in casing be too restrictive at full diameter expansion?
4: with the wall thickness at 1/4in how much pressure should i expect, if too low should i make the wall thickness bigger?
5: with about 8in of LRT at my specs what volume should i get(ofcourse not exact, just an idea of how much)

Here is what i want to build:

Last edited by Killi101 on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Water:
dont like drinking much

Killi101

Post by Killi101 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:37 pm

oh im serious :rolleyes:
Water:
dont like drinking much