Trigger systems

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
soakernerd

Trigger systems

Post by soakernerd » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:50 pm

What are the various methods that people have used as triggers? I don't mean ball valves, but actual triggers, like on the Riptide, Dr-3, and JLspacemarine's CPH.
Also, is it possible to make a stable trigger system without a shell?

martianshark

Re: Trigger systems

Post by martianshark » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:40 pm

JLspacemarine used a complicated homemade ball valve thing with a trigger connected to a ball valve and a spring. It would be really hard to build, IMO. I was planning on using a solonoid sprinkler valve. It would be easy to build, but then again, it could get wet and then it wouldn't work. There was a homemade nerf gun I saw that had a trigger that used check valve as a sort of pull valve, but it wouldn't have very good lamination.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:09 am

Pull valves and other valves of the sort do lack lamination, but still have good flow when large enough. Getting a large ball valve open however, takes more force. You'll want to use no larger than 1/2" valves and while a metal valve may be expensive and may risk damaging PVC threads, it'll work slightly more smoothly than most PVC ball valves. On the other hand, you may be able to find ball valves that open smoothly when browsing through the pile.

As for the shell, it may not be necessary if you can find a way to get the arm together on the valve and mount a spring on there to keep it closed. You may even be able to get it to work with a lot of rubber bands and clever placement, though this is probably not that reliable of a solution. Having a PC case (for CPH's) would help as it would add a place to mount a spring. While designing a shell is difficult, it may be worth doing so in the end.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:01 pm

New concept.
This is a homemade valve designed specifically for ease of use with a trigger.
What do you guys think? Unfortunately, the 90 degree turn is unavoidable if I want a direct linkage to the trigger.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:13 pm

That's pretty much how garden hose pull valves work. If it's big enough, it might be decent. However, you still need to design a trigger for it.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:15 pm

I have designed a full homemade that works based on this system. The trigger will hinge on a clothespin, like in many Nerf homemades.

Blue are check valves
Yellow is the PC
Red is the trigger system
Green is the seal on the valve
The will be spring behind the seal to reset it.
There will be a laminator in the front.
The bottom tube is the pump.
It will use a backpack

The valve itself was inspired by Drenchenator's Linear flow valve, but I designed mine to be easily triggered, rather than extremely linear flow.

EDIT: Could I use the rubber rod from Mcmaster to create a pump seal?

What do you guys think of this design?
Last edited by soakernerd on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: credit to drenchenator

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:46 am

Cool. You might want to put some pipe over the string to protect it.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:54 am

Yeah, this was just the outline of the design. I am getting the parts to build it this weekend.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:03 am

ooo. sounds nice. hopefully it doesnt leak and stuff.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:55 am

Congratulations on your 100th post. Apparently I didn't realize how much you posted.

By the way, because of where the PC is, that might be front heavy; this design might be better to have an on-board reservoir.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:24 am

whoa. didnt realize it. anyways, an onboard reservoir would be a good idea on this. shoulder stock anyone?

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:21 pm

I have been thinking about the balance on this and I noticed something. The top pipe can be much shorter than it is in the diagram. This would bring the center of balance closer to your hand.
I am also considering moving the second check valve (the one on the handle) to right before the PC. This would allow me to make the whole thing shorter, as well as giving a more comfortable handle. Would this have any negative performance impacts?

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:46 pm

that looks to be about right, but dont take my word on it. the pump might get in the way though. be sure to make it short(er)

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:57 pm

I plan to use threaded parts for most of this, so I can experiment with the lengths.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:15 pm

Threaded parts are okay for everything except for the PC. If you use threaded parts there, they can blowout and strip everything. It won't "explode" but parts will shoot everywhere.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.