Water-Talk has less than a week...

Discussion of other water gun websites.

Should we archive Water-Talk here at Super Soaker Central?

Archive Water-Talk.
76%
Archive nothing.
24%

Total votes: 17

SSCBen

Water-Talk has less than a week...

Post by SSCBen » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:57 pm

Like Soakology, Water-Talk has gone unattended, left to pass away. Soakologist hasn't been seen since last month, and hasn't responded to my emails.

Water-Talk's posts could be imported into our forum, if this import would be wanted. I also have a copy of the old ClubAquatica board (on phpBB) and those could be imported as well.

Update 2:19 PM: I have just noticed that the ClubAquatica db backup I had a copy of can not be worked with. Apparently something went wrong in the backup and all the values are null. This can not be archived sadly. My Water-Talk archive is in perfect condition however, and will not suffer this problem.

I am actually deeply saddened by this... there were quite a few really interesting things there and I should have verified the integrity of this database earlier.
Last edited by SSCBen on Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CPS

Post by CPS » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:23 am

"Water-Talk's posts could be imported into our forum, if this import would be wanted. I also have a copy of the old ClubAquatica board (on phpBB) and those could be imported as well. "
*slow motion* noooooo! *slow motion* you'll flood the boards! ' She can't take much more captain!'
Also if I were soakoligist I would not want you taking all the threads (and talk) to your boards without my permission.
So wait for him to give the go-ahead.

fsdl

Post by fsdl » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:41 am

Hey, i think we should archive Water-Talk cause i personally i got into soakerdom!
EDIT: CPS,could you pm me the link please?
fsdl
onward forward to soaking battle!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:04 am

CPS wrote:"Water-Talk's posts could be imported into our forum, if this import would be wanted. I also have a copy of the old ClubAquatica board (on phpBB) and those could be imported as well. "
*slow motion* noooooo! *slow motion* you'll flood the boards! ' She can't take much more captain!'
Also if I were soakoligist I would not want you taking all the threads (and talk) to your boards without my permission.
So wait for him to give the go-ahead.
Quit the sarcasm.

The Water-Talk boards were founded with myself as an administrator and founder. It was partly my idea. Soakologist paid the bills. He's a moderator here and I know him very well. I doubt he'll have any issue with these being imported in. Thank you for your concern though.

CPS

Post by CPS » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:08 am

can you please re-phrase your message, because i can't understand it.
I only speak english.

Edit: That was to fsdl
Whats with that rep symbol??

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:30 pm

Seems that not too many are against the idea of an archive, and I think these posts are doing better being archived than not. I may seem more reluctant given the 5:3 split, but only one person actually provided a reason and I didn't think it was very valid.

I'm going to test importation of these posts in a test board right now... Jelsoft (vBulletin's programmers) suggests that you do this to make sure you can do it correctly. Saying that I imported these forums about 30 times before feeling confident, I'd say that's a good practice.

I'll let everyone know how the import goes.

shadowstalker

Post by shadowstalker » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:41 am

I have to go with archiving it because if you didn't achieve it you would lose all of the forum stuff, and some people (like me) Actually read that stuff.. You never know, some of it might be really helpful.
"------------------!No OnE LeAvEs DrY!----------------"

My Arsenal
Agenst T.C.P.A.
Say No!
Defending Freedom in the Digital World

Viscen Django

Post by Viscen Django » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:18 pm

I say we should archive Water-Talk, because there might be some very valuable information on there.

-\\-Hraesvelgr-//- Sivayth Prioritus

pigtailsboy

Post by pigtailsboy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:44 am

It's a shame to hear that WG (water gun) sites are going down. I worry that this site is suffering. Not much activity lately. Maybe some interest could be generated outside the site to build up member base. It's to quite here.

One thing I'll say for this site is that it's staff and members a great. Not much arguing that I can tell. The most peaceful and agreeable forum I've ever seen. I think I've already said this somewhere though.

And yes I'd like to see a merger between the two site's info.
Last edited by pigtailsboy on Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xp 110 SC 400 MD 6000 CPS 1000 Argon Doom APH Lighning CPS 1000 Arctic Shock

WW3 SC 2500 no QFD and may be broken
Contact me if you can offer a QFD

marauder_4

Post by marauder_4 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:55 am

I say we archive it. It's not going to hurt anything to archive it anyway. Oh yeah, I never saw Soakology. How long was the site around? What content was on it?

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:49 am

Soakology had some good content, especially on the Classics, and promised much in the way of reviews, by virtue of Cloud's massive armoury. Unfortunately, it was never completed, always being in a major "Under Construction" phase.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:00 pm

With respect to archiving things, archiving for personal informational use is one thing, but I wouldn't recommend reposting or redistributing things without consent from those who had written it. Some may not necessarily with to have what they said at one play reposted elsewhere.
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:59 pm

Water-talk sadly isn't active any longer. I thought it would go down after today, but apparently it didn't.

With respect to the posters, legally I can put these posts here without any issue to the best of my knowledge. Most forum software's default terms says that the posts are owned by the forum administrators/owners. Some other's change the policy to almost say that the posts are on "loan" from the posters because they think this will give them a little legal boost if someone sues them for something such as inappropriate content (which sadly happens all the time). I've read quite a bit about this.

If an archive is made, I'll honor requests to have one's posts removed, but legally I don't think I have to ask anyone to publish this archive.

Right now I'm looking into the legal issues of importing another forum where you do not own the domain name or hosting but are an adminstrator/founder... I'll let everyone know what I find out.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:34 pm

Right now I'm looking into the legal issues of importing another forum where you do not own the domain name or hosting but are an adminstrator/founder... I'll let everyone know what I find out.

As a administrator/founder (I forgot that you are an Admin at Water-Talk.. my bad), IMO, posts under that forum's jurisdiction are open for importing into another forum so long as original poster's alias, etc. remain intact and so long as all other admins (if any) agree to the posts importation.

Of course, I'd recommend putting up notices in both places (where the posts are originally from and where they are going to) to notify members in both places of the changes occurring. As well, it gives members from the older dead forum a chance to browse through things in the new place and verify they are content with how things had migrated and send you comments or requests of post edits/removal as needed.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::