monster XL or APH

General water gun discussion.
Commander Soakage

monster XL or APH

Post by Commander Soakage » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:52 pm

my brother is thinking of buying a soaker, the options are in the title. think of every possible factor when recommending. Keep in mind that he likes big guns.
HASBRO stands for:
Horrible, Atrocious, Stupid, Bratty, Rotten and Obnoxious

SSCBen

Re: monster XL or APH

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:10 pm

Making a big APH would be much cheaper, more powerful, and easily more practical so that's my suggestion. The only downside would be the drop off, but you could easily make him a CPH if you wanted to avoid that.

Combine that with the fact that there are a limited number of Monster XLs. Not everyone who wants one will get one, but the APH isn't disappearing any time soon.

Commander Soakage

Post by Commander Soakage » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:16 pm

thanks ben, my brother has his eye on one currently on ebay do you think the price is likely to go up. If so how high
HASBRO stands for:
Horrible, Atrocious, Stupid, Bratty, Rotten and Obnoxious

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:34 pm

Check out this article: http://www.sscentral.org/market/ebay.html

Last summer and winter I checked out a bunch of auctions and compiled the prices. I could figure out averages from that. A Monster XL cost last year on average $156 and with inflation and gas prices, the average this year certainly is higher. Now again, this is an average. The price of that specific auction could be lower of higher.

If your brother is set on a Monster XL, I would suggest waiting until winter when the average price is $79. That's a big money saver. ;)

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:19 pm

isn't that the auction that a member on here posted up?
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Goldfish4209

Post by Goldfish4209 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:27 pm

I would recommend the APH. It is more powerful--the XL may look intimidating, but the APH is stronger. Not only that, but you can also get the parts fairly easily, while getting a Monster XL might take some work, and quite a bit of money.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:39 pm

I'd go with the APH, but mostly because I prefer building things myself (especially to save money). If you don't see a need to build then that's fine too. I don't battle much, so all the fun is in building, at least for me. :)

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:00 am

I actually think an APH is more intimidating. I remember the first battle I had with Ben with the first one he made in 2004. I didn't know what to think of it! He was being double teamed by our little brother and I and he was still putting up a show. Maybe it's just me, but I thought it just plain powerful before any demonstration--the PVC pipe might have helped in that regard.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.