Soaker from Scratch

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Chironnup

Post by Chironnup » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:23 am

Hey, I'm new. I'm not a hardcore super soaker person like you guys are. Well, at least not yet ^_^ .

I was wondering how hard it would be to make a super soaker from scratch. I mean, I was looking over your site, and since I only saw one which was featured as more of an oddity, I figured that if it was a good idea all of you guys would be doing it.

I was watching TV and I saw the new add for the new super soakers. And it really pissed me off. These things are all plastic and no parts. I mean it's like their toys that also happen to shoot water as a added feature.

So, I was thinking, would it be that insanely difficult to build a super soaker myself, or mostly from scratch anyway. I sort of imagined using nalgen bottles because those things are really tough, and super soakers were always breaking on me.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:27 am

It's really not that hard. I'm working on right now. I Don't know if it will work yet, but it's really fun. You will have to shop around for the parts. There are only two downsides to homemades.
1).The looks- not needed, but I hate carrying around a PVC web.
2). The price, so far my homemade has cost me $30. I'm only half done...
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net
--------------------------------------------------------------

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:31 am

Welcome to SSC! Many people are getting into homemades as they feel it is the only way to get what they want. Read some of the tech articles here at SSC, except for Range, don't read that, some of it is wrong and should be replaced with more accurate stuff. Read lots of articles, read the articles at GnG (check tech links), basically read the articles to know how they work.

Once you get how they work you could practice with modding your current guns. You'll gain needed experience while doing that. After that, use tubing, PVC or whatever to make your gun, and have fun while doing it.

I could get some pics of good homemades you may want to base your designs off of, I'll have to dig around to get a few of them.