My Homemade

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
captianfear

My Homemade

Post by captianfear » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:17 pm

here is a design of my homemade I created:Image

The gun uses a shrader vaulve to pressurise and has no nossel. It opperates at 80-120 psi and takes about 10 pumps to be at full pressure. The gun shoots 12 metres and has a very wide stream of 3 metres. shot time sucks but this gun is effective with a crew of two. it can soak someone completly in one hit.

comments?
Captian fear

cantab

Re: My Homemade

Post by cantab » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:28 pm

Are you aware you have spelled captain wrong :-P

So it's basically a pressurised reservoir gun. A design some are too quick to knock I think. The advantage of pumping the air is the air pressure is decoupled from the water fill level, whereas if the pump moves water they are strictly related (unless you precharge). In most toy PR guns, the pressures are lower than for a seperate PC, but in homemades we can readily make them substantially higher.

How big is the PC?

Why is not effective with a crew of one?

Also, riot blasts are cool, but for most purposes a proper stream is better. 12 metres would be good for a stock gun, but is poor by homemade standards. With a good nozzle you'd probably get a substantial range boost, and also greater shot time. Make it threaded so you can take it off if you want the riot blast.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:38 am

first of all I know I spelt it wrong, I'm a crummy speller but this is a water war forum not harvard English. Spelling captian wrong is my user name. Second my gun works ok withva crew if one. I made it to be a riot blast type gun, you only get one shot per pc and the stream nozzel I had sucks and with bad shot time it's useless

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:52 am

What diameter and stuff were the stream nozzle? Maybe it was a poor size.

I suppose it's true that with ball valves it's hard to do proper tap shots.

What's the scale on your diagram? And how much water does it hold?
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:21 pm

I'd second the recommendation of adding nozzles. It sounds like a powerful water gun, so it should get really good range and output if optimized to do so.

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:09 pm

The diameter of the ball vaulve is one inch. The bottom of the gun is made from 1 1/2 inch abs and the top is made from 3 inch abs. i dont even try to attempt tap shots because the shot time is less than a second. it makes a good base defence wepon. If i make a laminated nozzel the pressure will probably wreck the nozzel. I had a plastic nozzel but only got it to work once. the range sucked, it was even shorter and was like a hose shooting as soon as you turn the tap off. I think it would be good for attacking around a corner or something like that. You could prepressurize it and take it with you along with a back up cps gun and run around the corner and spray my gun which would be like a smoke screen and drive the opponents back, then a second latter you teamates who would be right behind you would rush in. I am thinking of making a wbl barrel attachment for it using a nipple and bushing to get to three inch abs from the vaulve.

Captian Fear

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:08 am

ABS isn't made for holding pressure, if I'm not mistaken. You should try and switch to PVC, for safety issues.

Either way, how long is each of the portions? I'm guessing they're around the size of an APH chamber. If that's the case, then yes, there will be pressuredropoff. (but you already knew that). You should look into a) getting a fairly small nozzle to preserve what pressure the chamber can hold or b) making it bigger/faster to reload if you plan to get more out of it. Just suggestions.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:27 pm

Most ABS pipe is not pressure rated. ABS pipe fails safer than PVC does (it does not shatter), but if it's not designed to hold the pressure then it's much more likely to fail. If your pipe and fittings don't have a pressure rating stamped on them or any indication of the part meeting some standards I would suggest using another part.

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:10 pm

I cannot buy pvc cheaply in my town. The guy at the hardware store said the pipe would hold up so i build it and its fine.

Biopyro

Post by Biopyro » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:42 pm

Can I ask what program you drew that diagram in?

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:26 pm

The program is called PVC designer; information on it can be found in this thread.