Buzz Bee's Trantula

Threads about water gun modifications.
zacharious8

Buzz Bee's Trantula

Post by zacharious8 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Does anyone know what the motor of this gun is rated at? Voltage capacity. It takes a 9.6v battery stock. With all the micro sized motors on the market now (from 1/18th scale rc cars and trucks) the motor should be upgradeable.

If anyone has or can find the specs of the gun I would be greatful. I need motor size, and voltage ratings.

thanks,

Zac

SSCBen

Re: Buzz Bee's Trantula

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:05 pm

I'd imagine the motor shouldn't take more than 9.6 volts to avoid burning it out. You can try it at higher voltages but don't be surprised if you burn it out.

RC motors are good but the typical brushless motor requires some sort of controller. I'd imagine upgrading the gun with one of those motors would be incredible.

Take some pictures of the internals. Most of this information will have to be found through measurement.

Alternatively, Buzz Bee Toys themselves might help.

zacharious8

Post by zacharious8 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Yeah I contacted buzz bee toys inc and they have not responded yet. The speed controllers for the RC trucks are only require so they can have braking, reverse, and throttle response/control. If it’s just in an on off applications all you need is a switch or trigger in this application.

With my experience in RC (two brushless trucks: rc18t & traxxas stampede) I have found that the brushed motors can handle and have vast increase in performance with a 1.5v increase. That’s just one cell. I just have know idea what kind of quality buzz bee has put into this gun. I just don’t want to buy one if I cannot upgrade it.

Lets be honest stock anything is just not fun,

Zach

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:47 pm

Sounds interesting. I'd never really thought of the tarantula as modable. But upping the voltage would be one way. Completely replacing the motor would be another, but you might find the pump or internal tubing limiting.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:46 am

The Tarantula is a high-quality water gun. But weak (or at least, weaker than it could potentially be), as you say.

If the motor burns out, replace it. The most valuable part, in my opinion, is the entire flow system controlled by the motor. That would be somewhat hard to do on your own, especially with seals and whatnot. But if you can just plug in other component, that's all the better.

Go for it! :)

Edit: Aren't most cells 1.2 volts, not 1.5?

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:56 am

Yes, nicad and nimh cells have nominal 1.2V. Nominal voltage for alkaline cells is 1.5V.
However, alkaline cells tend to exhibit worse voltage drop with discharge, and greater internal resistance, meaning that under heavy load, the voltages produced are likely to be similar for both alkaline and rechargeable cells.

zacharious8

Post by zacharious8 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:56 pm

Yes 1.2v is correct. Kind of hard to get 8.4v and 9.6v using a 1.5v cell.

My bad,

zach

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:32 am

Any news about this modification? Upping the voltage sounds simple and promising for those who want an easy way to upgrade the Tarantula, but given that it's never been done before we don't know how it'll affect the lifetime of the motor.

Are the pipes in the Tarantula restricting as SilentGuy predicted they might be? That'd greatly reduce the potential for high performance but it might be simple to alleviate depending on how the system water designed. Some internals pictures would help.

Authundir

Post by Authundir » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:43 pm

Hmmm... (Thoughtful music)

I have just had an idea, I am the proud owner of a rotary hobby tool (dremel) with a variable speed motor that can reach 25000 RPM. Insane I know, and quite scary at the same time.
as for the battery, it is a lithium-ion rechargable battery of a voltage, well frankly i don't know. (But I will find out!)
the motor itself is quite small, about 10cm (4")

does anyone have some internal pics? I would like to know if it is possible to replace the stock motor with one of these.
the only problem is that they cost about $250.
Ut permaneo campana sanus, Permissium obscurum perussi vestri animus. Totus palma ut Atrum Apostelus.

-Sic narro pugna doctrina.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:10 am

Here's a link to some: Water Warriors Tarantula Internal Pics. Your request got me inspired to open mine up! :cool: Hope these pics help, though.

That said, from what I've seen, the motorized pump is a sealed unit that doesn't appear easy to modify. You'd likely need to completely replace the pumping mechanism and, if that's the case, you're likely better off just building your own motorized water blaster instead.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:16 am

Thanks for the internal photos isoaker_com.

The ball valve trigger combined with an electrically actuated trigger is an interesting combination. I wouldn't have thought a ball valve trigger was necessary, but I guess there's a reason for it or else they wouldn't have included it. The water gun must leak from the nozzle when turned down without the valve.

Seems increasing the voltage is the only easy modification. You might also have success replacing the batter pack with one with more mAh so you can get more shots out of one battery, but that might get expensive.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:15 pm

I noticed the motor is not where the styling suggests it would be. I'd assumed it was in the transverse cylinder just behind the nozzle, but turns out that's purely cosmetic.

Also, it looks like the reservoir shape will result in unused water, especially if you're firing up at an angle.

The internal tubes sure are small. Maybe it would be possible to upgrade them and the nozzle. May as well do away with the valve, though if the gun does leak, a normal ball valve would suffice, since you only need to close it when you put the gun away. Trickiest bit would be enlarging the hole where the tubing joins the pump. Of course it's possible it would make no difference if the flow is limited by the pump.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:04 pm

isoaker_com, could you remove the electric pump from the reservoir and take pictures of the electric pump from the side that joins the reservoir? It would give us a better idea of how the pump is set up.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:00 pm

I would have if I could have, but that joint felt too tight to safely remove without likely needing to re-glue it or add in some sealing tape to ensure it didn't leak.

That said, if you go to the Tarantula Page on Buzzbeetoys.com and watch the commercial, they show a short video clip of a cut-away rendering of the motor and pump-system. Looks like a rotary-paddle-type pump within the housing. Hope that helps!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:40 pm

Looks the animation is artistic license mind.
Personally I'd use a centrifugal pump. They can be quite powerful, produce that power constantly (no pulsating streams), and more importantly, a given rpm results in a given maximum pressure, even if the tubing gets blocked (say if the nozzle valve breaks closed).

Another suggestion for a mod - I reckon you could shorten the gun a bit. Though you'd need to either cut out some of the tubing or curl it up. You could remove almost all the tubing and have the nozzle valve sitting right next to the pump, just under the reservoir. Need to rearrange the wire from the trigger though.
Last edited by cantab on Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.