Optimum Nozzle Shape

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
StormGlorious

Optimum Nozzle Shape

Post by StormGlorious » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:19 am

I had a thought the other day about the way I design homemades.
Well any way I'll cut ot the chase. What if the shape of the nozzle impacted on the range etc. of the stream.
Are there other possibilties aside from standard circles.
Just a thought :cool:

I'll be experirimenting with this on a new cph I have recently begun construction of.
Very different design to Bens, before you ask. :D

StormGlorious

SSCBen

Re: Optimum Nozzle Shape

Post by SSCBen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:10 pm

I'm quite sure a circular shape is optimal because it has the least circumference for a given surface area. That means that the stream itself is affected less by drag compared against squares, etc, that have more circumference. I don't think trying different shapes will make any positive difference, but you're free to try.

Silence

Re: Optimum Nozzle Shape

Post by Silence » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:29 pm

Yeah, I can think of at least three reasons why circular apertures are dominant:

1) Least circumference per cross-sectional area, meaning streams with the least drag once in the air.
2) Shallowest "corners", meaning the least turbulence from eddies. A velocity gradient determines the velocity of the water as you get closer to the walls; flow is always zero at the walls. That means the water will spin around a bit.

3) Circular things are easier to manufacture than ellipses or polygons are. A circular piece can be shaped easily on a lathe. Of course, since manufacturers use molds anyway for the final product, pretty much anything is possible.

There may be some cases in which other shapes are better, but those shapes would probably be very similar to a circle. Still, if you want to try and if you can make the nozzles, go ahead! I suppose a new design would be patent material, too. :cool: