A better Backfire.

Threads about water gun modifications.
Super Sonic

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:29 pm

I'm designing a Backfire-like homemade. The idea was so cool at the time that everybody bought one. I don't know one person thats into soakers that didn't. At any rate it was nothing more than a disappointment, but, the idea is still there. I thought instead of having one pressurized chamber being shared with two nozzles, have two cps chambers instead. They would be pressurized by an on rack pump that when moved forward would pump air into the front chamber and when moved backwards would pressurize the rear chamber. The triggers are the only part I haven't thought of yet, so any comments/suggestions are appreciated.
"Rejoice not over me my enemy, for when I fall, I shall in turn arise." Micah 7:8

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:32 pm

Well, the easiest way to go is to use a ball valve for the trigger. I personally don't have a taste for such a soaker. Your Idea of the pump may be flawed. In order for it to work it needs a lot of space.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Super Sonic

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:40 am

I realize the pump would have to be twice as long, but couldn't the shaft just be twice as thick instead to pump in more air.
"Rejoice not over me my enemy, for when I fall, I shall in turn arise." Micah 7:8

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:20 pm

I also don't particularly like the idea of the Backfire... it's hard to get right, and if you get it wrong when making it you will end up getting wetter than your opponents. I think it just restricts you as you have to be careful not to hit yourself.
Visit <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Sam's Supercars

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color :o range'><span style='font-family:Arial'><u>My Weaponry</u>
CPS2100 (Thank You King Soaker&#33 ;)
1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000
1 XP310 w/my own power mod and 8 balloon XPS mod
2 piston-pistols (backup)

p1lch4rd

Post by p1lch4rd » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:17 pm

the idea about the pump with a twice as large diameter, you're correct. A pump 10" long and 2" in diameter will pump the same amount of water as a 20" one thats 1" in diameter.

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:56 pm

Pump length doesn't matter much on it's own, nor does width. What does matter is pump volume. So, as pilchard said, you could have a 4" long and 6" diameter pump if you wanted, and it would still be effective. Although bulky, the pump described could actually be better, as you have less distance to move with each pump. Although, correct me if I am wrong, does the greater the diameter of the pump = the harder it is to move?
Visit <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Sam's Supercars

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color :o range'><span style='font-family:Arial'><u>My Weaponry</u>
1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000

Super Sonic

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:17 am

I assume there is more air to pump so, yes, it is harder to pump. And I still don't understand how your supposed to get yourself wet.

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:14 am

No, there wouldn't be more air to pump, the pump would just be wider.
I was wondering how that would affect the pull.

If the rear nozzle and trigger are badly placed, then you can easily find yourself taking an accurate shot and accidentally firing the rear nozzle as well, thus soaking self.
Also, if you're firing to the side then the rear nozzle is against you too.

One thing to remember with such a soaker is that it can make you feel a little bit invulnerable at times. You have to keep in mind that although you are more or less covered from front and rear, you can still be caught out from the sides, something that is easily forgotton.

On the bright side, however, if you're outnumbered and surround, you can go mental, open both nozzles as far as you can and spin around, drenching... well, everyone.

1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000

Super Sonic

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:45 am

No, there wouldn't be more air to pump, the pump would just be wider.
I was wondering how that would affect the pull.
I meant there would be more air per inch, you would have to pump as much air in half the length, so it would be twice as hard to pump.

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:46 am

If you're going to make a gun with two separate CPS chambers (I actually don't think this would work, as you shoot one , the pressure would equalise between them) then why not make a gun with a WBL underneath (like an M16), It would only have two pressure chambers and it would be more useful than a gun that fired both ways.
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

Forceuser

Post by Forceuser » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:53 am

Originally posted by Commander_Gaunt@Apr 2 2005, 09:46 AM
(I actually don't think this would work, as you shoot one , the pressure would equalise between them)
[snapback]23406[/snapback]

That depends on whether they are connected together. You can set it up so that they are independent of each other and still have one pump.
Hey, images in sigs work again! Woo!

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:55 am

How? wouldn't you have to use one way valves to do that?
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:56 am

[at]Super Sonic : Yes, that's right, sorry.

[at]CG : That would actually be very cool, M203 soaker! It'd be quite hard to do, but possible. So long as the two pressure chambers were seperate, they would not equalize, but I think you'd need to have a seperate reservoir for each one. Hmmmm.... worth thinking about.

EDIT - Two people posted while I was typing that and I didn't notice!

CG : Probably, yes, it would need one-way valves

Force : That sounds possible, but difficult.

1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:08 am

I think a grenade launcher + gun combo would be very good thinking about it, power + range from the grenade launcher and then the shot time from the gun. I would make one but I don't have the parts (at the moment anyway).

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:13 am

Originally posted by Dark Elite@Apr 2 2005, 09:56 AM
Force : That sounds possible, but difficult.
[snapback]23410[/snapback]

It doesn't sound that difficult in concept to me. After the pump mechanism, just get a Y piece and then connect a one-way valve to the end of each of the new branches. Attach a T piece to each end (for the trigger later), then connect your CPS chambers to the end of those and you're done...surely?
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.