Balloon Launcher Water Gun

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
JuchTurtles

Balloon Launcher Water Gun

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:51 pm

How would this sound?

A WBL and Water Gun Combined.

It would be a single PC pneumatic launcher, using a ball valve, on the bottom.

On the top, a PR gun with a garden sprayer nozzle and a ball valve for a big riot blast.

It's all pre-pressurized with a bike pump before used to attack.

Would this work, or would it even be practical?
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Re: Balloon Launcher Water Gun

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:58 am

The idea's been around for a while; particuarly a Supercannon-WBL hybrid. The tank could be powered up, then the water cannon fired. The leftover compressed air could then fire a balloon through another connection. However, I don't see this being that practical, and it would be a fairly demanding design.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:40 pm

Well, it could just be a water gun and WBL combined. Just a douchenator with a water gun. It would be useful to have the water gun in case someone charged you at close range (considering how you wouldn't fire a balloon at 80+ psi at someone 30 feet away). I'm not sure. I might attempt to build something like this though. If this does work out, it probably would weigh a lot, and also just be good artillery for guarding a base in WW (like most WBLs).
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:35 pm

The only advantage I think such a thing would have over separate weapons is ergonomics. Most homemades aren't strong on ergonomics anyway, but if you could make it work, it would be good.

A design that comes to my mind for a backpack weapon:

The backpack is a large pressurised-reservoir chamber, holding both water and pressurised air.

The gun part combines a WBL barrel and a water gun nozzle, with separate triggers. It could also mount an air pump (bike pump).

The WBL barrel connects by a hose to the TOP of the pressurised reservoir, while the water gun nozzle connects by a separate hose to the BOTTOM. (Or if either uses an intake tube they could both come out the same side.) You might need a third hose for the pump, or you might be able to use the WBL hose.

What you'd have is a man-portable combine WBL and water gun. The main issues I see are weight, pressurisation time, and variability of performance. Also, after firing a bomb, one is exposed to attack since there is no pressure behind the gun. That's a cost of the simplicity of the design.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Datum000

Post by Datum000 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:46 am

I was thinking it would be like a grenade launcher attached to a watergun, using a miniaturized version of a WBL strapped to the side, to be fired about 80-90 feet off as a preemptive shot before charging the enemy.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:52 pm

Datum000 wrote:I was thinking it would be like a grenade launcher attached to a watergun, using a miniaturized version of a WBL strapped to the side, to be fired about 80-90 feet off as a preemptive shot before charging the enemy.
That is exactly what I was thinking of.

I've decided I'm going to build the water gun like Dusty's Homemade Soaker
The WBL will probably just be a miniture Havoc

The gun's two nozzles will be a garden sprayer and this
Water War and Coast 022.JPG
A 3/4 to 1" hose barb

I have gotten a ball valve, female adapter and the riot blast nozzle so far. I can't wait till I finish this!! :cool:
SPLASH! You're dead!

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:34 pm

The main problem is that at 80-90ft, why not just throw the balloon?
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:59 pm

Lewis wrote:The main problem is that at 80-90ft, why not just throw the balloon?
Well I was thinking more like 80-90 yards.

UPDATE:
WBL 001.JPG
The gun so far. I know that it's not really anything yet besides the nozzle. On the tee, I'll put another nozzle, probably a hose handle.
WBL 002.JPG
Notice the bipod. I modified an old tripod I found in my room. It seems like it will work.

I need a lot more parts to even get it shooting. :cool:
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:02 pm

Lewis wrote:The main problem is that at 80-90ft, why not just throw the balloon?
If you're anything like me, you'll miss. A barreled launcher should be more accurate than a bad thrower.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:35 pm

Wow, sounds like a neat idea! Good Luck :) .
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:47 pm

Update!!!
Stage 2 WBL 3.jpg
The whole gun, starting by the nozzle
Stage 2 WBL 4.jpg
A side view of the gun. It's coming together!! :cool:
Stage 2 WBL 1.jpg
This is a close up of the arm on the ball valve. It is about 9 inches long.
Stage 2 WBL 5.jpg
The hose handle. Has not been tested yet.
Stage_2 WBL 2.jpg
This is what's going to be the quick hose connect. It's basically a female adapter attached to a check valve.

I'm planning on making a 1/2 gallon (roughly 3.5 liters) pressurized tank on the gun, made out of 3" Pipe and Adapters.

I'm going to try to get 50+ feet in range at least.

The WBL will have to be weirdly shaped, and the barrel short.

I don't know whether I should make it out of 2" pipe or 3". There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

3" pros- bigger, can launch bigger balloons
2" pros- lighter, can launch balloons faster
3" cons- heavy, won't launch as far (because of size of barrel)
2" cons- smaller, launches smaller balloons

Suggestions would be appreciated.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:37 am

Looks pretty good.

Bear in mind hose handles aren't the best performing nozzles. On the other hand, they have a good trigger handle, and some have fancy spray patterns, so it's a trade-off.
Arsenal:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:28 am

Sorry, didn't have enough time to make remarks earlier.

I'll echo what cantab said: you may find that the hose attachment doesn't shoot streams with much range or lamination. Fortunately, because it can (hopefully still) screw right off, it's easily replaceable if you decide you want to use some else instead.

I'd guess that 2" will be sufficient for both the pressure chamber and the barrel of the water balloon launcher. You may want to consider a larger pressure chamber if the air is shared with the water gun, though. I only glanced at your pictures so I clearly don't know how it works yet. ;)

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:25 pm

The water gun's and WBL's PCs are separate. The Water gun's holds pressurized water and the WBL's holds compressed air.

So you think 2 inches is the best. I thought 3 was too big anyway.

And hose handles. I might modify it, and it still can screw off, but just with a monkey wrench.
SPLASH! You're dead!

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:57 pm

In water guns, the system *is* pressurized, but note that the water doesn't actually compress. Thus there is no energy stored in the water (normally you'd integrate pressure-force dot compressed-distance, but there's no compressed distance here...). The energy is stored in air (which can compress) or rubber (which can stretch). When you pump water, you're compressing the air that was originally occupying the pressure chamber, and then it pushes out the water when you fire. See "How water guns work" or the HowStuffWorks article for more information.

There's another type of air pressure water gun, though: ones with pressurized reservoirs. These are often used for pistols and other small soakers. Instead of pumping water from one chamber to another, you pump air into a single, sealed chamber. This is also what's used in Supercannon II, so good performance is certainly possible. I was just wondering if you intended to use a system like this in order to simplify your design. :cool: