Rubber band k-mod/colossus

Threads about water gun modifications.
mr. dude

Rubber band k-mod/colossus

Post by mr. dude » Sun May 21, 2006 10:30 pm

I came across this idea while XPSing my Max-D 6000. Instead of covering a CPS gun's PC with balloons or bike tubes, wrap rubber bands around the rubber bladder.
The main problem I can see with this is that if you don't do it properly (ie leave some parts of the bladder free of rubber bands), the gun won't gain a power boost, but will lose lots of PC capacity.
Could this idea replace k-mods and colossuses?
Last edited by mr. dude on Mon May 22, 2006 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 22, 2006 12:03 am

I'm sorry, but I can't see exactly what you're saying. First of all, how would you use bike tubes in an XPS in the first place? Second, what's the point of wrapping rubber bands around the plastic part of the PC, if that's what you meant? I'm somewhat confused :confused: , so a diagram might be able to help...

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Mon May 22, 2006 12:19 am

Sorry about that, I didn't word it properly. I meant to say that instead of k-modding with balloons or colossusing with bike tubes, wrap rubber bands around the rubber bladder.
I'll edit the post now.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon May 22, 2006 12:25 am

I could see this only working with cylindrical PCs. As far as that is concerned, if all of the rubber bands are the same type, and they are layered consistently, then you might actually achieve good results. I know it would be a lot easier to do this than a collosus mod. however this isn't the first time such a design has been proposed. I personally have never tried it (mostly because I don't have many cylindrical PC guns).

If you try it, please post pictures, and reports on any power boosts!

CROC

Post by CROC » Mon May 22, 2006 11:45 am

I have seen the idea mr. dude is thinking of, it is just simply a substitute if balloons are unavaliable at that time. He replaced his PCs from the MD6k with balloons and is wondering if it will work
:cool:
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon May 22, 2006 8:49 pm

Rubber bands will never be replacing balloons or bike inner tubes as the method of choice for thickening of a CPS bladder. There are numerous reasons, not only including consistency of placement (which would be hard to impossible to achieve here), but also the number of rubber bands involved (thousands ideally), and the time and effort required to place thousands of rubber bands on consistently. Not only that, but I believe rubber bands are more expensive than balloons or bike tubes based upon surface area which is what matters here.

Good to know that someone is thinking, but please think about the implementation also. Just because you have an idea does not mean that it is a good idea. I'm still very surprised that no one other than myself have tried using a layer of LRT over a CPS bladder...

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 22, 2006 8:53 pm

Remember, and this is also somewhat of a problem with standard colossusing using strips of bike tubing--if you use thin strips (or rubber bands, in this case), while you might still have expansion perpendicular to the length of the original spherical CPS bladder, you will not have expansion parallel to the bladder. Both are important, and it's a shame that unaided humans are unable to slide a whole length of tubing over the original without massive destruction of the soaker's internals.

You might as well use LRT or bike tubing, and bike tubing might be free, too. There's no way this can be used on a spherical PC, and it would still be slightly uneven on a cylindrical one.