Vinyl tubing not good enough?

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
blaze

Post by blaze » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:49 pm

After using vinyl tubing to connect my APH to my backpack last summer, the tubing has become bent up right where it meets the soaker, and where it meets the backpack. Now, unless I replace the tubing, I can't use it because...well, that's how vinyl is. The water isn't even coming into the tube because it's so bent up.

I'm thinking latex tubing would be much better. Though it can rip and tear over time, it is easier to replace because of its elasticity, and it also won't get in my way as much when I'm using the soaker as vinyl did.

Any comments on this? Like before Doom comes in and starts getting technical on me?

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:20 pm

Hmm... So you are back for good. OK, then. Try not to make it a three-year ban next.

Back on topic, I have this kind of problem too. The best thing to do is use large-bore, thick plastic tubing. That won't bent much at all, restricting mobility a bit but allowing water through easily.
Visit <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Sam's Supercars

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color :o range'><span style='font-family:Arial'><u>My Weaponry</u>
CPS2100 (Thank You King Soaker&#33 ;)
1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000
1 XP310 w/my own power mod and 8 balloon XPS mod
2 piston-pistols (backup)

blaze

Post by blaze » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:22 pm

You're pushing it...

Why wouldn't latex work though? It would be light, easy to deal with, and wouldn't permanently bend.

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:52 pm

It'd tear comparatively easily though. And it will bend temporarily, cutting off water. A stiff pipe will not bend much at all, so at least you will always have free water flow.

EDIT - SP. Missed it.
Visit <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Sam's Supercars

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color :o range'><span style='font-family:Arial'><u>My Weaponry</u>
CPS2100 (Thank You King Soaker&#33 ;)
1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000
1 XP310 w/my own power mod and 8 balloon XPS mod
2 piston-pistols (backup)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:10 pm

I have no idea why anyone would want to use latex tubing in place of vinyl tubing. If you are having problems with it kinking up or being too stiff, use a similar but different tube or one with a larger ID.

Latex (rubber) tubing would be a terrible idea because it inflates and is a lot more expensive. You should only use it in homemade CPS water guns as the pressure chamber.

blaze

Post by blaze » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:16 pm

Well I got some more vinyl, but this time with a thicker OD, so it's really tough. It like barely even bends. And some new barb thingies too. Theyre pretty...fancy. And I got another o-ring cause those things need like constant replacing for some reason. I was totally one of the first people to use an o-ring (watch like 50 people attack me for saying that (and for saying this&#33 ;) ).

Doom, you think garden hose would work? Assuming that price doesn't matter.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:17 pm

Of course it would work. Just get a large barb. I have one that would be perfect for it on my hose.

blaze

Post by blaze » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:19 pm

I think that since tubing is cheap, I'll experiment with different kinds and see what works the best. Theres that one kind thats white and opaque and really hard, anyone know what it's called? I forgot.

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:13 am

Yeah, I use hose on my backpack mods, and it never bends or kinks. I don't know if it would be different on an APH. does the APH have a backpack like the backpack mod?
Soak, or be soaked that is the question!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:44 am

Originally posted by APH guide
Design features
  • Ball valve trigger
  • "Step-up" design
  • Possible backpack or included reservoir
  • Large PCs
  • Riot-blast (35 - 55X in output)
  • Multiple nozzle settings
  • Extremely long range (50 feet +)
Also note the incredible similarity between the backpack in the APH article and the backpack in the backpack mod article.

Some questions I don't feel should be asked because the answer is right in front of you!

(please excuse the negative tone of this post - you might as well check instead of post is the point I am trying to make)