Missile Launcher Ideas

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
Techie

Missile Launcher Ideas

Post by Techie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:03 pm

I'm not sure whether this was posted or not, but I have "surfing" the web for a gun that works like a missile launcher. I don't want anything that will break bones on impact with the target, but I do want something with a good bit of range and power. I already have a barrel sight (I don't have a scope, I have a barrel sight. A scope has magnification, mine doesn't). I just need a list of materials, a design, and a type of ammunition ( I would prefer something with a large blast radius (or splash radius, depending on your style of thinking)).
You know what turned Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side. If I were called "Annie" for 20 years, I would get pretty pissed off too.

martianshark

Re: Missile Launcher Ideas

Post by martianshark » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:37 am

Sights are pretty useless in water wars. They're only good at looking cool. If you want a big splash, a sight is especially not needed.

The most rocket launcher-like weapon is a WBL. It has great range, and even looks quite a bit like a rocket launcher, but it is kind of dangerous and can cause welts and even break bones if you shoot it point-blank.

Techie

Post by Techie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:21 am

Is there anything that has an engine for increased range? The engine being attached to the shell and probably ending up to be a few small model rocket motors. And If that bursts, could I put an easily removable cone-shaped nose-cone that would fly off during flight and leave the balloon to travel at least a mile. The rockets could be cut in half or into fourths to allow for less out-of-barrel air time, or left whole for maximum distance (in which case, I would need a scope).

Any thoughts on this idea???
You know what turned Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side. If I were called "Annie" for 20 years, I would get pretty pissed off too.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:51 am

With an engine and shell, you have a hard object traveling very fast so it's not hard to imagine it being a hazard. To reduce the chance of that happening, it has to be designed to steer and move in directions that would make it less likely or not possible to land on buildings, people, etc. Not easy to do to say the least, so good luck with that.

Comrade117

Post by Comrade117 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:47 pm

I would simply take PVC tube, and make something like slingshot inside. Simply attach elastic material on inner side of tube, and than make trigger system on other (rear) side of tube, and use wire to place trigger on front side of the tube.
(oh yes, you need a basket for water balloon)
I am currently trying to make this WBL, but I can not find elastic material that is good for this.

This device would throw water balloons. It is quite simple, but you need good trigger system (that is actually only problem here).
It would have less range than "real" WBL, but it is not very dangerous.

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:16 pm

the problem with that, I found, is friction with the sides of the barrel, and finding strong enough elastic that can still be pulled back. Mine fired a water balloon about 5 feet.
I'm a dude

Comrade117

Post by Comrade117 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:20 pm

Thats why barrel must be much wider than balloon. Barrel is there just to make gun look like rocket luncher. This would be simple slingshot. Balloon would not touch the barrel.

Surgical tubes should be ok, right? Yes, problem is you can not find them easily. I am going to check out on junkyard if there is something useful. People throw away awesome stuff.

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:27 pm

Maybe stretchy strings (not compression springs) would work...
I'm a dude

Techie

Post by Techie » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:12 am

I'm still stuck on how to make the balloon not burst during flight or acceleration out the barrel. I've got the rocket engines, barrel (it's about 8 feet long), and the shell, now I just have to solve the above problem.

TheTyphoon

Post by TheTyphoon » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:17 pm

I know nothing about water weapons so excuse me if I sound stupid.

But I think that the closest you will get to a rocket launcher is to have a launcher which could fire water rockets - and the water rockets have water balloons on the front of them as the nosecones of these rockets, exploding on impact.

Basically it fires water-propelled water balloons which have fins and a tail on them.

Comrade117

Post by Comrade117 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Yes, but it could hurt the target.
You can make something like slingshot in barrel, as I said before. If balloon "explodes" in the air, you can use longer barrel and weaker strings; Than acceleration rate would be lower, but speed of projectile would be the same.
Range is only problem here. I do not know how far this could shot.
No escape. No mercy.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:52 pm

You're better off with some type of cluster bombing mortar round if you want to use actual propellant. Launch an actual rocket into the air over your target area, and have the round drop several water balloons over the area to be attacked. As with hobby rockets, it should be possible to design the rocket so that it doesn't have a real danger of hurting anyone when it lands (i.e. with a parachute, but it could get lost), but there's also other issues, such as how to get a rocket to carry heavy water balloons in the first place, and how to get them to drop remotely. The second problem can be solved by a complicated electronic release mechanism so it can be triggered remotely or by timer, or perhaps it's possible to have it release the payload simply by gravity and physics. (i.e. when the rocket reaches its maximum height.)

TheTyphoon

Post by TheTyphoon » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:31 pm

I have taped a camcorder to my RC Helicopter before in a water fight. XD

I flew it over their base, flew it back to me and then landed it as smoothly as possible. I was surprised it could carry the camera, admittedly it was a light camera.

All I got was really shakey footage of it flying over there, the enemy team of three turning and shouting as they saw the chopper (one of them fired his gun and nearly hit it, the idiot...) and then flying back and bumping into the ground. Not great reconnisance, but hey....

And after typing all that I just realised I'm off-topic....

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:01 pm

No, that brings up a good point. Do you guys remember the air hogs planes? I used to load those partly with water, and they sprayed it all over the place. Not exactly a missle launcher, but more of a cluster bomb. :cool:
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:50 am

If I saw an RC helicopter flying around annoyingly in the middle of a water war, I'd probably shoot it down too. If you're flying those in my territory in a war, you better damn well hope I don't have my 50mm water balloon launcher either. =D

I just read my last issue of Scientific American actually, and in there was an article on the use and versatility of robots in combat. There are many tiny flying systems used for surveillance and more are being developed. An unfortunate fact remains though; you still need something fairly large to be able to carry water weaponry, or even just water. And of course, any normal person would want to shoot one down. Cameras however, have become very, very small lately as everyone is aware of. The iPhone 4 can take 720p (high definition) video which is excellent resolution for scouting, provided the footage isn't motion blurred ridiculously.