pump question.

General water gun discussion.
Horrid1

pump question.

Post by Horrid1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi I'm new to building but I think I've figured out the design but I was wondering if the pump has to run horizontally or can I run one vertically I would think it would work but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask right? Thanks for any help!

DX

Re: pump question.

Post by DX » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:16 pm

Welcome to SSCentral! The pump can face any way you want, as long as it is between the two check valves in separate PC designs (APH, CPH, etc.). Obviously when you pump, you want the first valve to make sure water doesn't go back into the reservoir, and the 2nd valve to make sure it doesn't go back into the pump. The valves do not have to be near each other, and the pump can be anywhere in between.

Most builders position the pump horizontally below the PCs and nozzle because it is a natural location that is convenient. Leverage on the pump tends to be better when pulling it toward your body in that position. However, other placements and angles have been used. There's a Buzz Bee gun that uses a vertical pump (however, it's annoying to use).
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Horrid1

Post by Horrid1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks much DX! I have a few designs scribbled down and was just making sure it was all gonna work. :D I uploaded a couple of pics of different designs hopefully they are clear enough to read.
Attachments
IMAG0118.jpg
IMAG0117.jpg

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:06 pm

Your first design (leftmost of the first image) would be the most practical and viable. However, I would suggest bringing the reservoir around to 90 degrees and running it all the way to the PC. That way, it is easier to secure the thing and the gun will feel sturdy. A free standing reservoir will jiggle when full and it may end up jiggling the whole gun. This example:

was not too powerful because I made it using 2" pipe and a 3/4" pump (you want at least 3" PVC for the PC and only 1/2" for the pump), but it was the most compact, lightweight, and sturdy homemade I ever made.

Your second design is viable as long as you secure the reservoir to the pipe as it bends back around. The pump position, however, will be really awkward. And if the pump ever leaks, which most homemade pumps do, it would end up coming out on your shoes. When a typical horizontal pump leaks, the water spurts out away from the user.

The third design on the other image file would function...but it's not efficient. The best way to attach dual PCs is to use T's and place them next to each other. The existing design will have turbulence as the water tries to figure out how to exit. Some may end up moving back and around. This stuff hurts the range and lamination of the stream.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Horrid1

Post by Horrid1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks again DX, I think I will try the first one (far left.) With your reservoir design that is definitely a good idea. And the second one I might have a go at it also but all of them were just in the design faze and didn't show any mounts or stabilizers. As for the pumps I just wanted a different look other than the same horizontal style. I may or may not try out different positions but I'm not 100% on it just yet

atvan

Post by atvan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:27 pm

You don't want the pump any bigger than 1/2 inch, as DX said. Alao remember to use pressure rated pipe!