Broken Artic Blast Trigger

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
NtenseEVO

Broken Artic Blast Trigger

Post by NtenseEVO » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:04 pm

Well today as I was playing with my cousins I heard a loud pop from my gun. From there my trigger was loose and would not return to the neutral position. I decided to open her up.

Once I opened the gun up I saw a spring that was broken in half. Now I tried to look for other pieces of plastic that might have broken off as well, but all I found was the broken spring. Now upon inspecting the other nozzle, the one where you can flood your opponent, I noticed that it had two separate hooks that the spring attaches to.

So I guess my question is, how do I fix my trigger and where do I attach a new spring to, granted I can find a similar spring? Are there any other house hold items I can use, maybe like a rubber band.

Thanks for your help guys.
Darnell

SSCBen

Re: Broken Artic Blast Trigger

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:07 pm

Welcome to SSC!

If you don't want to worry about repairs and the water gun can be returned, return it. You might also want to complain directly to Hasbro--they've been known to send you replacement water guns without any proof that you even owned the water gun to begin with.

Take a picture so we can get a better idea of the problem. A picture's the easiest way to give us a lot of detail.

You could probably find a similar spring without much trouble. I don't know where you live but you could take the dimensions of the spring and find something similar on a website like McMaster-Carr if you live in the US.

Rubber bands should work too but they'd be less durable than springs.

NtenseEVO

Post by NtenseEVO » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:20 pm

Hi Ben,
thank you for the quick reply.

Here are some pictures..

As you can see the spring is no longer where it should be. I would like to try and see if I can use rubber bands first to try to fix it. However, my concern is that I do not know what needs to be pulled and in what direction.

Thank you again
Darnell
Attachments
DSCN1505.JPG
DSCN1504.JPG

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Since what seemed to have broken is an extension spring, rubber bands should be able to replace it. Just make sure that you have them tight enough otherwise they might not be strong enough. Also, if you need more rubber bands than you can fit on the hooks, you could use paper clips made into loops to add more space to hook onto. Hopefully that helps.

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:42 pm

This is a fairly common problem witht eh newer guns, so don't panic. I would suggest using the BD wire and band fix, however it is not on the net yet. Rather than using one large rubber band, instead try 5-10 smaller ones. This has always worked for me in the past.

Storm
Armoury:CPS 2500, CPS 1700, 2xCPS 2100, SC PowerPack,
Triple Agressor, HydraPack, Lightning, APH x3, Pneumatic Grenade Launcher, Triple Shot, Liquidator, Arctic Blast
'Wherever there' s a Dark Age, There are Dark Apostles'
Play Magic: the Gathering

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:54 pm

I'm another with the same problem (except on the flood nozzle), after very little use: maybe a half dozen occasions test firing and a single battle :-@. Haven't opened up the gun yet. It probably won't be much good returning because the store (Argos) no longer stocks them, and they'd likely want the 'free' backpack back too.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

CROC

Post by CROC » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:14 am

Ok, for normal nozzle fixing visit

Trigger repair

I'll look into how to fix the flood nozzle and get back to you cantab.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:33 am

I'm guessing it will be essentially the same procedure.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

CROC

Post by CROC » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:13 pm

Actually, the procedure will be different, judging by the internal pictures at iSoaker.

You need to either tie a string to the trigger valve, or make a custom piece that will pull it and not move... It would be an interesting mechanismto make... a flat plastic strip with a line cut in it. That could make the trigger silent, and still have the "pull-me-shoot-you-with-my-whole-tank" style gimmick. I really have no clue right now.

Anyone else have ideas?
-Croc

NtenseEVO

Post by NtenseEVO » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:11 pm

Well, I tried to use rubber bands to fix the trigger, however I am running into several problems. First one is that the rubber band is too big. One way I hope to get around this is by using those little bands you wear to correct an overbite. I'll get back to you guys more later if that fixes one of the issues.

I have also wrote a complaint to Hasbro. So far, they have been very cooperative and have answered all my emails in a timely fashion.

Thanks again guys

CROC

Post by CROC » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:45 pm

Don't use those elastics! They are too small. If it is too big, wrap the band a few times. It should not affect performance. Which version of the mod did you do? The just rubber band or rubber band and paper clip?
-Croc

cps zer0

Post by cps zer0 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:55 pm

is the trigger max-d if so you are doing the right repair

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:04 pm

Yes, both triggers on the Arctic Blast are Max-D, as are all triggers on new Super Soakers since the Max-D line.
Arsenal:

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:13 am

I've used orthodontic rubber bands before for this purpose. They work fairly well but they lose strength (as do all rubber bands) fairly quickly. I'd advise getting an extension spring with hooks at each end from a hardware store.

CROC

Post by CROC » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:20 am

[geek]
The article on t2730 has a good repair, and you can use any strength rubber band. All you need to do is occasionally replace them.
[/geek]

Anyhow, orthodontic rubber bands are kind of hard to come by, no?
-Croc