Straps

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
C-A_99

Straps

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:45 pm

I've looked around for a long time and to this day cannot find anything simple, cheap, and easy to use as a carrying strap. I haven't been able to find the leather strap thats supposedly at wal-mart, what is the product specifically called?

Is theres no better solution than ordering the straps from super soaker and replacing the hooks with my own when they break?

aEx155

Re: Straps

Post by aEx155 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:04 pm

If you don't mind making it out of duct-tape, that's a possibility. I made my own for my homemade; you can see them here. I'm not sure whether or not anyone would like them, but they work and they're cheap...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:54 pm

The best strap I have is the one on Supercannon II. I've been meaning to find one like that ever since but I haven't had luck. I'm going to check WalMart again because I think that's where I bought it.

Any straps for duffel bags should work. They're better than camera straps because cameras don't weigh as much as duffel bags. I wouldn't trust anything over a few pounds with a camera strap. I've also bought straps meant for guns at WalMart but I found them to be annoying when moving the strap around my neck.

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:14 am

maybe you can use a 3-point sling, like what is used in Airsofting. Might be a bit expensive (Around $14.99) for what it'll be used for, but it might be worth it.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Three-point slings, for those who don't know, connect a strap around your body to the front and back of a gun. They may or may not be useful here. They're usually used for stability and for tethering light guns, not for lugging heavy ones.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm just looking for the basic strap that has pretty much the same functuality as a regular super soaker strap and is cheap enough, otherwise I should just order them from Hasbro. (I have some metal hooks I could use to replace them when necessary) Alternatively, I could look around or ask BBT about their straps, which I like better.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:58 pm

Duffel bag straps have all the functionality and are more comfortable (in my opinion, at least). The one I have on Supercannon II has a comfortable piece that stays on your neck or shoulder so that as you move the strap through it you don't feel the friction. That's what I like about it. It's very comfortable with water guns.

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Another idea could be to use a guitar strap. To connect it to the gun you can use 2 carabiners through the strap locks.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:33 pm

A guitar strap might work, but most aren't made for much movement, so get a quality one. Even though many of the ends are leather, they can still wear out after years of use--my first guitar's strap has some interesting stretches.

I remember that Ben and I bought some actually gun straps a few months about (January? I'm not sure). They were comfortable but fairly expensive--I think about 7 to 10 USD.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:14 pm

I've heard of using dog leads. Don't know how comfortable they are, or how easy to fix to the gun, but they'll certainly take a decent load (think of the force of a large dog pulling on it)

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:07 pm

I'm going to keep looking for those straps used on general purpose bags, they should do the job. The main issue right now is how to get them seperately without getting the bags.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:14 am

You have to look in the right place--though I really don't know where that would be. I actually do have a general purpose strap. I bought it to use in my bolt-action Nerf homemade; I just don't remember where. Look around and ask around; you never know what just might pop up locally.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:30 pm

I just bought a CPS 3000 on eBay and it doesn't have any straps. Hasbro's replacement parts page says that they too are out of straps. I suppose I'll have to look for myself now. I'll report back any interesting findings.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:50 pm

I suppose shops that sell like fabric and sewing stuff will probably do bag straps.