Homemade, pre pressurized air tanks

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
THIRST

Post by THIRST » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:02 pm

Hey, I Don't soak, I own like one gun, which I modded for nerf, but Super soakers sound ok, and the homemades should be cool, so im going to be building one hopefully. I mod nerf guns, and Doom knows me from the Haven...

Down to business,

My idea is basically make a homemade with several pre-pressurized airtanks/water tanks. I will be making this out of cpvc and pvc.

I will be making several air/water tanks each about 2 feet long, and they will connect directly onto the gun through a coupler leading to some pvc, leading to a ball valve. When I open the ball valve, the water and air goes through the gun, but to prevent loss of power through diffusion, I will make the primary airtank very small, and the stock/handle section of the gun will be sealed off by a ball valve. My barrel will probobally be about 6 inches of 1/2 cpvc.

Each seperate air tank will have 24 inches of pvc connected to a ball valve and 3 inches of pvc. At the other end of the tank will be an endcap with a hole drilled through it and a tire stem valve glued in. To fill and pressurize the tank, you pour water into the open ball valve and close it. then attack a bike pump to the tire stem valve and pump it up to pressuize it.

Using several removable airtanks, this thing could have insane practicality and reliability.

THIRST

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:13 pm

Hey, I do remember you. One thing you should know; the air tanks work best when the water is on the bottom. That only can be done when gravity puts it there. It sounds good, reminds me of this. Post stats when you're done. Also, you'll have to pump this a Hasbro HQ of a lot to get it to a high pressure, I would recommend an air compressor.

THIRST

Post by THIRST » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:14 pm

Yeah, the water will be at the bottum, because the force of the pressurzed air will be pushing down since the tire stem valve is at the top.

THIRST

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:22 pm

Now that I read your post again I think I should tell you that no one has really expirimented with making a long barrel, espcially one 6 inches long. In my latest homemade, I had a barrel like thing and it was about 3 1/2 inches long, but it was only so I could hook something into my ball valve. Some think that it lets the gun be more powerful, I don't know because I haven't tested it.

I don't exactly get your design, I think you're better than me, which isn't a surprise, homemades are new to water gunners. If you can, draw up a pic or something, I want to understand it better.

THIRST

Post by THIRST » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:26 pm

This design is simliar to 2 other designs for a nerf rifle, expect it will be much easier making it a water gun because I wouldnt even have to make a breech or load an ammo, its already in the airtank. I have a lot of experience with homemades, and nerf homemades are fairly simliar to SS homemades.

The long barrel is to make sure it keeps a nice cylendric shape. I Don't really know much about SS, could you fill me in on previous designs for SS homemades?

Ill get up a drawing tomorrow, because I have to go.

THIRST

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:59 am

Read some the of articles on the tech articles section to learn a few of the terms I'm going to say. Nerfers who come over here typlically have trouble understanding that CPS guns are not air pressure and a few other things.

There hasn't been many homemade designs in SS. There are basically 3 kinds of guns though, tire pump pressuzied, hose pressurized and hand pump pressurized. Tire pump and hose pressurization is very easy to make, hose pressurization being the least powerful, and tire pump being the hardest to use and not very useful because it can't use CPS. They basically are the same except that you replace the tire chuck thing with a check valve and a few other things and you only pressurized it with a hose for the hose pressure. Hand pump pressurized is relatively new, I'm having success manking a gun like this myself. Hand pump definetly is the hardest to make. I'll post a pic of my hand pumped gun later, maybe after I finish it. I got to go to school, here's a picture of the homemade I based it on. Mine is very different though, I designed it to be better.

The most complicated part of that is the pump systems. It's just check valves and PVC, but it probably is the most expensive part of the gun other than the resiviour.

If you've got any other questions, feel free to post them here. Maybe some other people will awaken from their long sleep and help you as well.

THIRST

Post by THIRST » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:27 pm

That looks nice. Origionally I was going to use a cps at the end of my tank, but since Im using several tanks, it would just get in the way.

Im making the tan small so you dontneed to pump it a lot. I Don't really soak, so this is just a fun little project. Since it doesn't hold a lot of water, im hoping for short pump time, one short blast of water, but Its going to fire far. Thanks for your help!

THIRST

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:19 pm

What do you mean CPS at the end of your tanks? The 2 only practical ways to do CPS is completely different than air pressure, and can be done with multiple tanks. Can you expain what you mean, I don't get it.

Btw, good luck. I'm going to make a Nerf homemade soon myself, once I get the money, I'm currently broke. I'll post it at NH, so look for it.

THIRST

Post by THIRST » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:23 pm

Instead of an endcap at the end, wold put on an air bladder that works the same way as a cps.

THIRST

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:37 pm

No, that wouldn't work as CPS. I think you may know that, saying you didn't do it. All that would is not allow the air to be compressed, definetly decreasing performance. A CPS chamber has to be completely rubber, putting that rubber inside of a container will only hold it, the container has no function other than that.