New mod idea

Threads about water gun modifications.
SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 02, 2004 1:09 pm

http://www.toothpickmatt.netfirms.com/S ... /tech.html

Before I say what this mod will do, look at the CPS 2500's and CPS 2000's PCs above. The CPS 2500's is much longer, and it'll expand less because of that. Of course, you could remove the reservoir and let it expand more, but that is not what I have in mind.

This mod will involve cutting the PC of the 2500 so that it is about the same size as the one in the 2000. Then you'll seal it with the seal that came with it or tubing clamps and something to plug it up. That should at least give it a larger PC. I also think it might make it more powerful, because it will allow the rubber to stretch more, however that I am not sure of. If it does not increase power, then you could collosus it.

Do you think this mod sounds good, or will it just screw up a 2500?

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sun May 02, 2004 1:22 pm

Too bad those soakers are a rarity everywhere now :(
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

Jangadance

Post by Jangadance » Sun May 02, 2004 10:17 pm

This idea has been applied to Nerf guns that have the "pressure chamber" or bladder as it is called. I'm not sure if this would be quite as simple with a soaker, but here is what YAKMAN did to his Powerclip. As you can see, he cut the bladder shorter so that it would be forced to expand more until it reaches the release valve. He reports an increase of range (up to 33%) at the cost of a shorter duration of pressure.

I think a more worthwhile modification would be to lengthen the space in which the PC has to expand, and then apply an inner tube over the longer PC. You would have a longer shot time and still achieve higher pressures.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 02, 2004 10:35 pm

That's where I got the idea from. I was surfing his site because I like to read his mod articles. ;) The pics make it extra cool.

Xray

Post by Xray » Sun May 02, 2004 11:12 pm

It would depend on the rubber, the CPS PC's ive dealt with Don't linearly increase in pressure as volume goes up. What I mean is - the more you stretch it, the pressure barely increases. Thats why it is CPS, once it reaches a certain point in stretching, more stretching only increases volume but not pressure.

I think its because the more you stretch the rubber, the thinner it gets, and the less force it has to rebound - meaning it gets bigger, but can't push in as hard and therefore you only get more volume/capacity.

So.... I think you'l just end up with more capacity and a PC that won't last as long (because it gets stretched more).

The catch - you won't end up with more capacity in the end, because it will just stretch to the same size it did before the mod. :rolleyes:

Your best bet would be to increase the space it has to expand, lengthen the plastic tubing that is around the PC. my 0.02 C's

BTW the thing about the barrel he has was more interesting, to me, I already knew they had small tubing inside it, but I didn't think of certain arrangements of tubes as being better

-blake :D

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon May 03, 2004 12:48 am

When I said stretch more I meant inflate up/down. The CPS tube inflates up/down less because it is stopped by the end of the PC.

The rubber does not stretch as in stretch, it does get thinner, but that's only from constant use. I should have explained better.

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Mon May 03, 2004 12:55 am

Is the mod as good as K modding? :blink:
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Mon May 03, 2004 1:09 am

The 2000/2500 is a cylindrical blatter instead of a normal spherical one. So K modding would not work...
I don't check this forum anymore.

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Mon May 03, 2004 2:22 am

what he means is does it have similar results, and it may or may not. it's not even close to being based on the same principle as the k mod/colossus, so I dunno.
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Mon May 03, 2004 2:24 am

Right...

Xray

Post by Xray » Mon May 03, 2004 2:32 am

Its extremely hard to explain with typed words, I'll try to get a diagram tomarow.

It gets thinner because it is inflated, the more you inflate it the thinner it will get because the rubber needed to provide the extra surface area .

Streched doesn't mean its permanently stretched either, im using stretch the same way your using inflate. I also see what you mean by stretched, as in using it for a long period of time and it nolonger has the elasticity to get back to the original shape.

- look at it this way.
Normal non-streched rubber -

|||||||||||||| ( it should be solid, but this is text im using...)

Streched rubber -

=======================

See what I mean now? There is still the same amount of rubber, it is thinner, but longer aswell.

What you will be doing by completing this mod is -
-forcing the rubber to work harder by expanding more each time its used
-Wearing out the rubber faster due to the above
-Causing the rubber to lose its elasticity (which is basically the same as wearing it out)
-Providing a miniscule increase in pressure/power when used

Those pictures show the CPS2000 PC is the same size, but has a shorter length of rubber. The 2500 has a longer rubber component. (im guessing your thoughts on this) You believe that making a 2500 PC the size of a 2000 PC will make it more like the 2000. Sorry, no (and im not trying to be rude) . The 2000 PC is shorter because it is thicker rubber, as the pictures show. The thicker rubber allows it to stretch farther, which allows it to hold and equal amount of water as the 2500 when fully pressurized. The thicker rubber has more elasticity, and that is why it has more power/pressure, not because its shorter and has to stretch more, only because it is thicker, and because its thicker it can be shorter... blah blah blah id start repeating myself.

I hope this explains my point well, without being too boring. Ill make another "essay" :rolleyes: if I have to.

BTW it works for a nerf gun because that is air in a nerf gun - unlike water air can be compressed and therefore it doesn't relly on the rubbers elasticity for all the pressure.

-blakes essay :rolleyes: (I need a life)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon May 03, 2004 9:54 am

You believe that making a 2500 PC the size of a 2000 PC will make it more like the 2000.
Nope, I got the idea from that Nerf mod and I thought it should work because air and water are both fluids. :rolleyes: Well, I see what you mean, I should think more of my mods before I post...

Xray

Post by Xray » Mon May 03, 2004 11:14 am

They are both fluids - and your explaining yourself fine, im probably the one that has trouble explaining himself.

Both fluids, but only Air (which is a GAS) can be compressed. Water rely's on the rubbers ability to squeze, or, its elasticity to create the pressure. Air rely's partly on the rubber, but a lot on the fact that Air can be compressed.

Its just like trying to pump water into a pop-bottle, fill it fully with water, then try to push in more water. You can't.

Now do the same thing with Air and you will be able to pump for quite some time, due to the fact that air is a gas and it can be compressed...

Its a totally different principle between the super soaker and the nerf gun - thats the problem.

and BTW it doesn't matter if your mod idea isnt 'perfect' before you post it, nobody is perfect, and its good to get other input anyways. :)

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Mon May 03, 2004 2:29 pm

I see how it works now. :P

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Mon May 03, 2004 11:34 pm

so say I'm making a homemade. (I am) I have a latex tubing. I have 1/2" with 3/8" inside it. Assuming they are both this thick, what would be better, a 1 foot PC or a 1/2' PC. If it is shorter, does it make it more powerful if it is thick enough?
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net
--------------------------------------------------------------