Explosives

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Hunt_and_Annoy

Explosives

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:36 am

Because it says here http://forums.sscentral.org/t3876/ that explosives should not be used in water guns, I am naturally going to argue against it. Branched chain alkanes will burn pretty cleanly, and can be burned in controlled amounts. The explosion of octane is used to power gasoline engines. A small gas engine could be used to drive a backpack pump which would pressurize a soaker rather quickly and efficiently. Like, one from a lawnmower or some similar device? I think that the use of a gas engine to pressurize a large soaker is not completely unrealistic, especially considering it's already been done.

PS: This topic is only semi serious, meant to show that explosives can be used in water guns. Please don't flame me about being an idiot. Many people who've been here long enough know it's true, but still, who doesn't love a shakily rationalized annoying counter argument here and there?

PPS: How is it that the spell check on a soaker forum thinks soaker is not a word?

PPPS: Same for alkanes.

Silence

Re: Explosives

Post by Silence » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:12 pm

There was a YouTube video showing a small water gun powered by an R/C plane's gas engine. It got good results even with a very small stream.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:40 pm

If the dictionary doesn't have a word I'm pretty sure you can make it learn the word by hitting learn. I must have overwritten the dictionary a few weeks ago when I upgraded the spell check because I swear I added basic words before.

Gas engine powered water guns have been done before as SilentGuy mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVU9yBChz0

You also have to consider every gas powered water pump too. Those would work and not be dangerous but I don't like using gas because it's expensive.

Some sort of combustion water gun has been done before too. I recall a thread here by hydroblast where he described a combustion water gun he built. Sadly, he's not into giving out guides for free so it's doubtful we'll see some details. It's not too far out but it's definitely dangerous.

Maybe something like a hybrid spud gun would be interesting, but you'd need metal pipe at the very least...

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:12 pm

Engines driving pumps are just fine. However you should be able to get the same power with an electric motor; what it might lack is duration (petrol holds more energy than batteries I think)

What is not advisable is using explosives to provide the impulse to directly push the water out of the nozzle (like how real guns work). It would be akin to firing a real blank; blanks can be dangerous, even lethal at close ranges.

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:16 pm

If I can put my opinion in here, I don't think hydroblast may a good reference source...

I was watching this video on Youtube one time, and I noticed what he was using for a gun. The PVC part he was selling plans for was just for looks, and didn't add any range to the gun at all. It was just a water dispenser thing attached to a backpack. A lot of the other things he's selling plans for can probably be made from his pictures, and they're not even that complicated compared to the price...

That's just my opinion.

As for explosives in water guns, it might not work as well unless it an engine of sorts; and if it's an engine, it would need fuel, and fuel costs are getting higher, adding the already expensive price of some pumps.

It's possible, though, to make an explosion powered water gun, like the people at SciToys did here, but it wouldn't be very helpful in battle...maybe a remote control bomb would be possible though...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:52 pm

I was watching this video on Youtube one time, and I noticed what he was using for a gun. The PVC part he was selling plans for was just for looks, and didn't add any range to the gun at all. It was just a water dispenser thing attached to a backpack. A lot of the other things he's selling plans for can probably be made from his pictures, and they're not even that complicated compared to the price...
I agree with you. I can't understand why he sells plans given how simple a lot of his things are. I guess there's people out there willing to buy it if they think they'll get better plans or support. Most people there probably don't know about free guides out there, especially given that he doesn't link to them.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:56 pm

hydroblast's guns never looked too good to me. All talk and looks. Most of them are just simple air pressure ones that anyone with an elementary knowledge of what compressed gases do can figure out alone. He probably sells plans because it makes people think that it's something worth buying!

On topic: I think that a plain combustion water gun could be safe and productive if all the calculations and design work is solid and safety is the first concern. But that's going to be difficult and still may not get great results.

Air pressure has been and will be the easy solution for this kind of stuff. It doesn't matter if air mixes with your water because it's not going to make it poisonous or dangerous. Some explosives could do that if they mix with the water, but a piston based system could avoid this. Still, with careful planning, a good gun based on explosive or combustive properties of matter could work.
Last edited by Drenchenator on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:22 pm

It's well known that if you offer the EXACT SAME THING at different prices, some people will choose the more expensive option. This applies especially if the cheaper price is free; many people will assume free means rubbish.
Hence why hydroblast can sell his plans.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:01 pm

Seeing as there is interesting discussion spurred on by this topic, I think it should not be said that if explosives are suggested the topic will be ignored.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:36 pm

Maybe.

However, I would say the following. Don't ever think air pressure won't be enough. Go find out about "punkin chunkin" - air cannons (and other machines) that hurl pumpkins over 4 kilometers!

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:24 pm

Air pressure can be quite powerful and safe if you are willing to put up the money for it. "Punkin' Chunkin'" is a good example. If you take the time to get the good air compressors and pipe, why can't the gun be good?
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.