Finally building launcher

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Lightbulb41

Finally building launcher

Post by Lightbulb41 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:04 am

Well I'm off to my last year of Boyscout camp. I have to go out with a bang so I'm building a WBL Ballista. I have the rubber band and I'm mounting it to 2 2x4's at a T. There will be a small cloth bag at the center to hold the water balloon. run by 1 person. With support on the device...

Any comments. Anybody left that remembers this older member?
You can get more with a kind word and a gun than just a kind word.

I trade mobility for firepower. Accuracy for strengh. And Stealth for Intimidation.

Silence

Re: Finally building launcher

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:18 am

Sounds good. We don't really know much about ballistae, so a pneumatic launcher may be more recommendable, but your plan should work well. Good luck with the build. :)

Lightbulb41

Post by Lightbulb41 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:32 am

Think Massivly Upgraded Surgical Tubing that is mounted on posts to act as the supports...

I have like 12 hours to build it next saturday...

I trade mobility for firepower. Accuracy for strengh. And Stealth for Intimidation.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:33 am

I haven't ever seen a water balloon ballista so that's something to look forward to. You'll probably need a fairly hefty rubber band so I'd suggest something like bungee cords. Be sure to be careful when working with bungee cords because they can snap or the hooks can come undone and they will hurt you bad. Wear safety goggles.

I have however worked on two water balloon catapults before. If you don't have much success with a ballista, try something simpler like a catapult. When I was in the Boy Scouts one county wide campout had an epic water balloon fight where you had to hit other troops with water balloons. Many troops thought they were smart and went with trebuchets, which wasn't too smart actually. Trebuchets only work when designed and built correctly. We easily outranged everyone with a simple catapult.

Edit: Didn't see your posts. Surgical tubing should work fine.

Lightbulb41

Post by Lightbulb41 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:37 am

It's 6 feet long :) and 6 inches wide :) it takes 32 pounds of force to make it expand 100% 64 for 200%... and so on

It's a flat rubber band though

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:46 am

Wow. That's impressive. I had a much smaller strip of rubber in mind.

If you could make a mangonel instead, that would be even better, especially since a winch will really let you stretch the rubber. Of course, the main bar would take quite a pounding even if it's well padded, and accuracy leaves something to be desired. The rubber would also need to be powdered to reduce friction from it sliding around the rod.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:44 am

Welcome back!

I remember you, but you may not remember me. Back then I really didn't post that much: I kinda just read everything instead.

Sounds like an awesome launcher! Though I don't really know how much material you have, I recommend that you anchor is well so that it doesn't rip itself apart or move around like mad. If you really pull the tubing back, the rest of the catapult will pull back with it. These movements could be dangerous.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.