FF Nozzle Drilling

Threads about water gun modifications.
Toast

FF Nozzle Drilling

Post by Toast » Mon May 29, 2006 11:12 pm

I've just bought a FF (my first soaker:rolleyes :) for a society event at my uni. I've already connected it up to a 9 litre pressurized reservoir but I'm looking to do further mods. I don't have time to crack it open and do a check valve freeze or colossus before the fight but:

Can anybody tell me what diameter I should open the nozzle up to for better lamina flow?

I'd welcome any other advice on what to do with it.

Cheers
Last edited by Toast on Mon May 29, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 29, 2006 11:36 pm

Greetings, and good luck with the modifications you'll get acquainted with and hopefully share.

I'm not sure what you mean by adding a 9L pressurized reservoir to your FF. The FF uses CPS, which means it has a latex bladder that is the PC; and, like all soakers, it also has a reservoir. Pressurized reservoir soakers require the user to pump air into the reservoir, so the reservoir acts like a PC (cheaper and larger, but weaker and the pressure is lost if you open up the reservoir). If you mean that you added a backpack or something that feeds the reservoir, then pressurized reservoir is the wrong term. Otherwise, I'm simply confused.

Adjusting the nozzle won't neccessarily create less turbulent streams. Generally, it is done to increase the output, and you could add a threaded nozzle selector (which actually helps).

Toast

Post by Toast » Mon May 29, 2006 11:54 pm

It is a backpack to extend the reservoir but I've used a garden weed sprayer which is air-pressurized. So as well as pumping water through from the backpack and into the CPS bladder using the gun's pump, the air pressure in the backpack is pushing water through the system. I'm not sure if this will make any noticeable difference but I thought I'd try it as I had the thing lying around. Apologies for confusing use of terminology.
Mad Science without the Science

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue May 30, 2006 12:12 am

It's an interesting concept, and I'd like to see a diagram of your execution of it...congratulations on getting it to work (or at least on getting it to not mess up your backpack mod ;) ).

Ideas such as this have been thought of, and indeed, I have visualized something very similar: basically, a colossused homemade or commercial QFD-capable CPS soaker that uses hose pressure to ease pumping (naturally, the hose can't fill a reinforced bladder). However, I'm still tinkering with the idea, though I'm pretty sure it will actually work.

In your case, I don't know how much pressure the garden weed sprayer can create. My gut feeling is that it won't noticeably help, but if it does, then good for you.

Remember, for CPS soakers, CVFs don't help at all unless you also do a K-mod/colossus (in which case you'll have to do a CVF). In other words, don't bother CVFing unless you have to, which some people might consider, seeing as colossusing can be difficult.

If you haven't done so already, you should read the pinned thread, "Which modifications can I do to X water gun?" Even without looking at m15399's extremely thorough and complete list of suggestions, I could tell you that the nozzle selector mod is just about the only other worthwhile mod for the FF besides the colossus. It will give you more flexibility and provide a better stream overall (a better one than could be obtained with nozzle drilling).

Toast

Post by Toast » Tue May 30, 2006 12:27 am

Thanks. From the few test firings I've done it doesn't make the pumping that much easier (as you say the garden sprayer doesn't make a lot of pressure!) but it does mean that I'm only ever pumping from the gun's reservoir rather than all the way from the bottom of the backpack. Good luck making a bigger, badder version work :) .
Mad Science without the Science