water gun turret: help!

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
Mutton

Post by Mutton » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:19 pm

I built a homemade to defend my bunker with but I need to make a turret for it. If someone could help that would be great.
I'm from Scotland and I like Haggis!

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:36 pm

Something I would suggest would be to get a cheap full-function R/C car from Wal-Mart. The car should have at least one servo (to control steering) and one electric motor. Hook the homemade onto a very short piece of leftover PVC pipe, and attach it to the servo. Then, attach the servo to the motor. If the car is full-function (which it should be), you can now aim anywhere along a 360 degree path and tilt to maybe 40 or 50 degrees.

I'm not sure if this would work, but it might. I don't have a RC car handy that I don't mind loosing.
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

Mutton

Post by Mutton » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:34 pm

Good idea but, I hate Wal Mart and I need it to be simple. thanks anyway.

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:24 am

Just another idea. Try getting some rope. Have the turret (something that moves side-to-side) and attach the gun to it. Tie one piece to the front of the gun, another to the trigger, and two more to the platform. By pulling on two strands, you would move it side to side. By moving another, you could aim it up or down. A third strand could pull the trigger.

The only disadvantage would be that someone could cut the rope.
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:07 am

What exactly do you mean by turret? If you mean a stationary gun, I don't see the point. It would probably be best to just use your homemade as it is. Trekkie's ideas sound extremely far-fetched to me.

Mutton

Post by Mutton » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:00 am

I asked for help not criticism :angry: :angry: :angry: , and I still nead ideas!

Mutton

Post by Mutton » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:00 am

sorry about double posting :( , but it is a stationary gun.

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:49 pm

I still don't see the point of a stationary gun... exactly what would you say the advantage of a stationary gun over a non-stationary gun is? Perhaps adding a bipod would suffice.

Anyway, your homemade is based on Doom's APH, correct?

Mutton

Post by Mutton » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:48 pm

Well it can be transported but it is more designed for base defence. It is also my own design. Also instead of arguing why don't you help? I need this turret by friday!

death angel

Post by death angel » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:29 pm

Well it can be transported but it is more designed for base defence. It is also my own design. Also instead of arguing why don't you help? I need this turret by friday!

[RANT]
If you need it so bad, why don't you just come up with your own ideas. So many people ask questions that they could probably come up with an answer by themselves. This forum isn't supposed to be a place where you ask every idea that comes to you. That would just ruin the point of thinking! Thats like hand-feeding you! Everyone here has the capability to think by themselves. Here is a place to discuss after you have thought. How do you think Doom comes up with all his genius ideas? Sure, he probably gets a bit of help from others, but the majority of it is done by his own thinking. Maybe we aren't all as skilled as Doom, but at least try to think.[/RANT]

On topic: I don't think that a turret is the best idea. Unless your homemade is spectacular, I wouldn't try it. The enemy will likely wait until you waste you water and then just come in for the kill. I feel that being mobile is a very important strategy in water wars.
Nintendo DS Forums!
No longer undiscussed!

Mutton

Post by Mutton » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:55 am

I've tried everything I know. I just need ideas! Stop picking on me! :angry:
:angry: :angry:

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:09 am

Whoa, okay, everyone settle down and stop flamming. Mutton asked for ideas and not criticism. If you have ideas to help him then post them. If you have criticism, criticize with respect to the other member.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Mutton

Post by Mutton » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:32 pm

Thanks :Hey, that's funny.: nibordude. Do you have any ideas? If you do please post them!

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:53 pm

Turrets are pointless, IMHO, but if you must have one, a simple way would be to [if there are trees near your position] sling ropes over the branches and tie the gun to them, so it hangs stationary. Easy to aim right, left, up, down, takes 5 min. to setup, etc. I would not make a turret that is connected to a ground-based structure due to the time and effort involved in creating such a structure. But, if you have cinderblocks handy, you could stack them in a way that the gun could be placed in at an angle, like a cannon. Personally, I would just pick up the homemade and use it the regular way.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:43 am

But your homemade is PVC and is the basic sepperate firing chamber contraption, correct?

There is no advantage at all in making a homemade a "turret" unless you somehow hook it up to a hose to create some of the pressure. While this would not make it completely stationary, it would give you an unlimited supply of water and make pumping easier and to some extent elimate it completely. This can be easily achieved by adding on the appropriately sized threaded female pipe to the end of the gun, I beleive.

If you are handy enough you could also add a bipod. Get creative, it shouldnt be too hard.