Compression Cylindrical CPS mod

Threads about water gun modifications.
JuchTurtles

Compression Cylindrical CPS mod

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:18 pm

I decided I wanted to mod my Artic Blast. I looked in the mod section, and saw the Colossus Mod. I liked how it gave more pressure and pushed out water faster, but it restricted the capacity of the PC and I wanted to do something different.

The PC moves backwards while it’s expanding, and I wanted to control that, while also adding power.

I did what I call the “Compression Spring” mod.
JuchWaterGunArticBlastCompression 005.jpg
All you need is a 1” – 7/8” compression spring (make sure you measure your pressure chamber before you begin; I did this on a Artic Blast).
JuchWaterGunArticBlastCompression 001.jpg
JuchWaterGunArticBlastCompression 004.jpg
Open up your gun. Identify the PC.
JuchWaterGunArticBlastCompression 007.jpg
Trim your spring, I had to cut mine in half to get the correct size (around 2” on the Artic Blast).
JuchWaterGunArticBlastCompression 003.jpg
Put your springs in. If wanted, layer your springs. I did two. Then reclose your gun while making sure you aren’t pushing the spring away.

I don’t know if this works with other guns, but if you notice on the Artic Blast, there is in the casing of the PC a hole that allows the spring to go in and then push off the inner-gun casing.

A great thing about this mod on this particular gun is that you don’t have to cut open the PC casing. On others you might have to, but on the end of the casing you put the spring.

Now, after measuring, the range is increased by about 5 feet (41 total on the main nozzle), while on the riot blast (also modded, a ¼” stream now) got about 7 ½ feet (32 ½). So it did improve the power and range. Shot images are coming soon!
Attachments
JuchWaterGunArticBlastCompression 006.jpg
JuchWaterGunArticBlastCompression 002.jpg
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Re: Compression Cylindrical CPS mod

Post by cantab » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:28 pm

I'll say one thing - don't be surprised if this breaks your gun. It will put unusual stresses on the cps chamber.

I heard someone did something similar with the Water Warriors hydropower system - which uses a flat rubber sheet. It boosted power, but then the gun broke.

You do make a fair point about colossus (and k-mod) reducing PC capacity. That can be compensated for by increasing the PC case size (by replacing it with a pipe usually), but then you make the whole gun bigger, which may not be what you want.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:02 pm

Yes, as I do recall Blaze eventually noted that his Blazer broke. I'm unsure if the break was due to the modification or something else but I'm reasonably sure it was due to the modification.

This spring does not seem to be anywhere near as beefy as what Blaze used so perhaps you won't run into problems. The only way to know is by trying the modification.

Anyhow, as I recall the details of the break were at WaterWar.net. I do have what remains of WaterWar.net and intend to put it online at WaterWarfare.com as an archive eventually, so we may know the cause of Blaze's original break in the relatively near future.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:48 am

Ben wrote:Yes, as I do recall Blaze eventually noted that his Blazer broke. I'm unsure if the break was due to the modification or something else but I'm reasonably sure it was due to the modification.
Well, didn't he use something that didn't give at all, like a sheet of plywood? I designed this so that it didn't stop capacity, it just boasted power.

And the best part, it hasn't broken yet! :cool:
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:36 pm

He used fairly hefty springs as far as I remember. Perhaps they were too hefty. I don't know.

It's good to hear that it hasn't broken yet. This could be a simple alternative to Colossus.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:41 pm

JuchTurtles wrote:Well, didn't he use something that didn't give at all, like a sheet of plywood? I designed this so that it didn't stop capacity, it just boasted power.

And the best part, it hasn't broken yet! :cool:
The issue isn't so much the strength of the spring as the uneven stresses it creates on the rubber chamber. In some geometries the rubber would tend to bulge around the spring, over-stretching and weakening it. It's very much dependent on the shapes and sizes. On the Arctic Blast (and all other cylindrical CPSes for that matter), there's a rigid end plug for the spring to push against, that will distribute the force and should reduce any risks of failure.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:10 am

Here's an idea I just came up with, even though it may need a PRV freeze. Do both the Colosus and the Spring mod for Xtra Power! Do you think this would work, or would it break the gun? It could result in too much power or pressure, possibly, especially if you give it a high colosus mod with many layers and use large powerful springs. It would be worth considering, of course.
SPLASH! You're dead!