Windows 7

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
cantab

Windows 7

Post by cantab » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:13 pm

Has anyone else tried windows 7? You can download the RC for free from Microsoft's website. I also heard a rumour the final release version has been leaked.

I'm using it right now. In one sentence: Good but not great. A fuller review will come in a couple of days.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Specter

Re: Windows 7

Post by Specter » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:47 am

the full version releases october 22, 2009.
im getting a new laptop soon which comes with a free upgrade, i have to register when i get my laptop and then they send it when the upgrade dvds are ready to be sent
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:14 pm

Yeah, that's quite common I think.

Even if I was offered a free copy myself, it wouldn't become my primary OS. (That's Linux, specifically Ubuntu). Not just for technical reasons, but licensing ones. But when I do get a new computer, if it comes with 7, it at least won't be deleted. And I might even play some games on it.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:04 am

I've been running the RC since it came out and unlike Vista, I'm finding it very hard to fault. It may not be absolutely perfect, but for the most part, it just works. Definitely gets a big thumbs up from me.

Managed to order a pre-order copy half-price version of 7 Pro, so will be installing that when it's released.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

marauder_4

Post by marauder_4 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:35 pm

Wait... didn't they just come out with Vista???

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:52 pm

marauder_4 wrote:Wait... didn't they just come out with Vista???
yeah... like 2 1/2 years ago.
surprising how time goes so fast aint it

and vista had too many problems.
W7 is basically the same as vista with improvements and isn't as hardware (Memory/graphically) intensive on computers.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Same boat as cantab: if they offered it to me for free, I'd at least consider dual-booting. I'd want separate hard drives and not just separate partitions, though. GNU/Linux would be the primary OS for several reasons though.

Improved driver support, better performance, and more polished UI are the things I've heard noted about Windows 7.
Last edited by Silence on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:59 am

I have Windows 7.

The late beta it has a number of impressive little features, but they all add up to make it a better operating system then both xp and vista.

Thankfully they got rid of all those annoying vista problems that made it almost universally hated.

Best of all. It's quite fast.
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:09 pm

I'm taking the dive and planning on trying to install Windows 7 tonight. Will update progress assuming I can get back online afterwards! :p As I'm currently running Win XP, it'll be a long haul to do the full clean wipe and re-install all needed apps and restore backed-up files afterwards.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:23 pm

My university provides two free keys, so I've been using it for about a month. It generally works, but I miss Linux's command line, package management, and compose key. I'm technically dual-booting, but something went wrong with Kubuntu alpha I was using and I haven't bothered to get Linux back up again.

Specter

Post by Specter » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:58 pm

I ordered my Win7 upgrade kit this past weekend. The dell site says eestimated shipping date is 10/30 (yesterday it said 11/18) :) cant wait.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:33 am

2/3 of corporate PCs have still been running XP all this time. I don't plan on upgrading my old PC as XP still functions just fine. I've never been part of the "upgrade culture" - usually I use something until it breaks, becomes unsupported, or just isn't viable anymore.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:52 pm

took me two tries to install Windows 7 "properly" (first time, didn't recognize my laptop's monitor correctly and I couldn't get its full resolution to display. Now the fun part of reinstalling programs and hoping they work in this new 64-bit environment.

wish me luck!

Specter

Post by Specter » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:28 am

Im running vista 64bit already so i shouldnt have to worry when installing Win7 x64

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:32 pm

I failed...

Well, technically, I did succeed in installed Windows 7 and even got to play around with the Windows XP virtual computer. However, after many attempts and even calling Adobe tech support, the fact that I could not get my Adobe CS3 suite to install forced me to abandon Windows 7 for now and re-install Windows XP. Not a fun experience need to re-wipe and re-install everything AGAIN, but as I need to get things done, I can't afford to have my main system without key apps installed. Oh well... looks like it'll be awhile before I will try installing Windows 7 again.

At least I got to clean up my hard drive thanks to having to do two full fresh installs! :p