Ye olde SSCentral

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
MilkMan

Ye olde SSCentral

Post by MilkMan » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:36 pm

If you type <site:forums.sscentral.(net)> (without "<>". Also, the filter blocks ".net" next to sscentral so don't use the parenthasees either) then it will come up with a lot of old stuff from SSC. If you view the cached URL's you can see SSC in its younger days. Google's chached basically takes a screenshot of what the page looked like at the time. So you can see the IPB forums and everyone's old post counts and sigs. Images don't work too well though. Kinda nostalgic. :D
You can also view me in my n00b days. I was such a n00b. :p
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:42 pm

The Internet Archive usually is much better for viewing old sites. If you do a search for SSCentral punto net you can view SSC from its start to around a year ago.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.sscentral.org/

If you really want to view old posts on the forum, you can just go back really far and find some.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:34 pm

.net is filtered so that half the links on the forum won't be broken. ;)

A few months ago I got the original Super Soaker Central online. I then tried to get the second Super Soaker Central online, but never told any about it. The first design is my favorite. Next time we redesign, we'll definitely make the site use themes, and one theme will be my updated version of the original 2003 design.

As for finding old forum posts, we only have lost about 10 posts over the years after I had to restore a backup a while back. Everything should be still on this forum. It would be really neat if we could make a vB skin that duplicates the appearance of the older websites, but I'm afraid that I have no idea how to do that.
Last edited by SSCBen on Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:08 pm

Yeah, older skins would be awesome. I still like the 2nd generation's look the most. I'm not sure why, it just looks happier to me I guess.

Wow, just wow. I went through the mods section on the original SSC. Ballooning, 2-5 balloons, and a bump in performance. :p

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:17 pm

Nice! I never saw the 1st SSC. By the way Ben, what hosting do you use? Also, what hosting did you first use?
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:03 am

The hosting at the moment is Apis Networks' Basic plan (which just got upgraded from 300 MB of space to 700 MB). They upgraded the plans because they've noticed that some users use a lot of space for log files which previously were not counted into the space used, so technically there is supposed to be no real space increase. Due to the fact that our logs are automatically deleted, that's a massive space increase for us.

Before that, we had used SolidInternet which was budget web hosting ($30 yearly). Good for the price, but I got fed up with the downtime and lack of support, so we ditched them.

The first host we used was Dr2.net which also was budget hosting. We got the hosting on sale for $15 a year! Great deal. The hosting account actually is still active, but I don't remember the passwords.