Dual stage pump Volume & Power

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
adronl

Dual stage pump Volume & Power

Post by adronl » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:43 am

Well there has been talk about a dual stage pump but I am not sure if any one has done it but it was necessary for me in my next model hand held compact and very powerful almost supercannon powerful :cool:

Well here it is pictures posted separately due to size.some viewers may have to scroll sideways due to the large images and this stretches out the text.

adronl

Re: Dual stage pump Volume & Power

Post by adronl » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:49 am

Pump in neutral position

First action volume dia 1"

Second action pressure dia 3/4"

Last edited by adronl on Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:08 pm

I'm not sure this will act as you intend. What I can see happening, is when you compress the pump, the strokes will go the 'wrong' way - the smaller part will move first, then the larger. Or am I missing something here?
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:51 pm

It looks like you have the idea backwards to me, but I could be wrong. Is the part with the tee the pump handled? Then the pump's fine. If not, it's backwards.

The problem was likely in the orientation: Usually, we present homemade parts with the end on left and the nozzle on the right, as it looks like you, adronl, did with the supposed firing valve section on the right. We just assumed that the pump's orientation matches the valves, which it appears to not.

The idea is that you nest a smaller pump inside a larger pump. This way, you use the big pump when the pressure is low and the small pump when the pressure is high. High pressures create more force on larger areas, so a smaller pump avoids this.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

adronl

Post by adronl » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:33 pm

If you notice the smaller pump with the T is the handle and that isnt actually a T it is a 3/4" to 1/2" threaded clip on T that you can put a handle on later and I will. Also if you look closely it is exactly as the diagram drench put up. On the smaller pump action there is a 3/4" male and female adapter so that when getting to higher pressure the smaller pump doesn't just pop out as you push. When you are ready for higher pressure you unscrew the smaller pump and go at it.
Last edited by adronl on Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:00 pm

Good. At first I thought you did have it backwards; then I thought that if the tee part was the handle, it would all make sense. It does now.

That screw idea looks good. It keeps the small pump in place until you need it.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.