2700 trigger replacement

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
ark333

2700 trigger replacement

Post by ark333 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Hi again, how are you guys ?

it´s been a while since I last posted here, with this 2700 problem. Finally, I was able to open the gun and repair the trigger, following the guide in this page. But after little use, it cracked again, and I see a waste of time trying to seal it again, cause a new break will eventually occur for sure.

I want to made a brand new trigger from scratch, one identical to the original 2700 trigger, cause I don´t like the wire trigger. Having the original as a model, do you know where to request this kind of work ? maybe at a factory ? I dont know if this can be done at home, this sounds like something more proffesional to me. Thanks for your help.

SSCBen

Re: 2700 trigger replacement

Post by SSCBen » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:40 pm

Welcome back.

You'd have to look at rapid prototyping places but those places are expensive. I'd suggest cutting a new one from plastic sheeting and trying to duplicate it as closely as possible. Most hardware stores have a limited selection of plastic sheeting that should be plenty adequate. The hardest part would be cutting the alignment grooves but if you have access to a mill it shouldn't be too difficult.

Someone at a local machine shop might be able to do all that for cheaper than rapid prototyping too but I've never looked into that.

A wire trigger with a plastic part acting as the trigger could work too if you want something better than the wire trigger that's easy to make and cheap.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:04 pm

Buy a 1/4" thick sheet of Lexan or Plexiglas. Trace the shape and you should be able to cut it with a box cutter, metal band saw, jigsaw, dremel tool/cutting wheel, whatever.

Getting one machined or printed in plastic is going to be a bit of a hassle, but if you have to do that, search online. There are a bunch of services that don't charge much and they'll mail the item to you.

CROC

Post by CROC » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:18 pm

There is always the possiblility of making a silicon mold for the broken trigger to go into, and then melt or pour some liquid material (possibly plastic), into a hole you left for the filling. Then you wait a day or so, and then it will be nice and solid. However, you would need to melt or make your own plastic, so that could be costly.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:39 pm

A mold's an interesting idea. While it would be a little difficult, you might have luck using a mold and epoxy putty given that the material the mold is made from does not bond with the epoxy putty. That would be reasonably cheap and could make a near duplicate of the trigger. Though, finding a good material for the mold could be difficult. I think cutting plastic sheeting is the most straightforward option.

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:17 am

Molding silicon, I have heard, is fairly cheap.

Here is a link to the process:

Instructable about Silicone Molding/Casting
-Croc

Specter

Post by Specter » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:06 am

I was going to suggest making a mold as well. Seems like the other couple posts have it covered.

BTW Instructables is a GREAT site :) I'm on it every day :p
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:45 am

That's a nice looking method. I think I'll try something like that in the next few months... it'll definitely be useful to duplicate little parts.

Something to think about for the future: we could make a bunch of relatively simple pieces like some triggers and resell them when needed. I've been considering that for repairs once I get some access to stereolithography equipment.

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:31 am

Yes, I agree that instructables is a great site.

The molding method could potentially be used for smaller pieces, but I just can't see it being used for cases, etc.

Isn't stereolithography expensive but accurate Ben? I believe
Boltsniper used it in Nerf, but the materials are crazy costly. It could be interesting though...
-Croc

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:10 am

When you're at a university usually they give you access to all sorts of CNC stuff for free. That's how Boltsniper did it from what I know. I know nothing about how to work it but I know what building it's in at University of Maryland. Eventually I'll have it figured out and I'm sure I'll use it.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:36 pm

If you're in the engineering track at a university you'll have access to CNC machines, etc.

I hadn't seen that mold article before but it looks good. I do like Instructables too - but there are too many updates to their RSS feed.