Your Style

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.

Your Style?

Juggernaut
2%
Militaristic
7%
Powerholic
7%
Guerilla
11%
Minimalist
7%
Aggressive
5%
Reserved
2%
Turtle/Camper
3%
Speed Demon/Free Flowing
6%
Intuitive
1%
Versatile
6%
Gun-Worshiper
1%
Selfless/Team Player
3%
Lone Wolf
11%
Risk-Taker
7%
Conservative
No votes
Inventor/Techie
11%
Chameleon
5%
Follower/Emulator
1%
Other (explain it in your post)
3%

Total votes: 88

martianshark

Your Style

Post by martianshark » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:27 am

I'm really having fun with this poll feature. I thought I would make a poll for different styles. Here's the link to different fighting styles. I made this poll multiple choice because you can have more than one style. I'm a turtle/camper and inventor/techie.

zeda.beta

Re: Your Style

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:12 pm

Light loadouts work for 95% of my fights, and the other 5% we are generally using hoses. But homemades are the reason for inventor. :D
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 pm

I voted minimalist (often I just take an XP 270 or a Vindicator), Speed Demon (you can really run fast with a light weapon) and Versatile.
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:54 am

I almost always equip in the same primary/secondary/sidearm/equipment format for most games, even soakfests. I've also brought my CPH onto the field and while homemade use hasn't been very widespread, I've been pushing for it to try to use them effectively.

Versatility with various soakers is imperative in our wars as we often mix up casual games with standard tactical games. Still, I almost always prefer to stick to high range but for games that do not allow high range weaponry, I may end up dual wielding or simply going very light.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:34 pm

In all that long list, my style is missing :-(

Runner. Runner is a style much more likely to be seen in Capture The Flag games than in deathmatches. A runner will usually be lightly armed (though some may be able to run well even with heavy weapons), and use their speed on foot to cross the battlefield fast, and to make a safe getaway if needed. Unlike a Speed Demon, a Runner may be much more static or slow moving in combat (most Speed Demons will also be Runners, but many Runners will not have the mobility and dodging ability in combat of a true Speed Demon). Unlike a Guerilla, a Runner won't necessarily place much emphasis on cover; even in the open, a Runner isn't hanging around to get hit anyway.
The biggest threat to a Runner is an opposing faster Runner. Getting trapped behind enemy lines can also become a problem for a Runner.

My own weaponry is normally minimalist. If cover is available I may adopt a guerilla style.

If I'm taking a more static or defensive role, I tend to go powerholic, and this is also the case when buying blasters. (The main reason I have so many is due to the constant search for more power.)

In every man for himself deathmatches with decent camouflage I'll often turtle, hiding and hoping the other players eliminate each other so I place well. Unfortunately I get bored of waiting rather quickly.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:50 am

The graph is starting to look interesting now. ;)

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:25 pm

@cantab: It sounds like my style of play is very similar to yours, though I chose Speed Demon, Minimalist and Versatile.
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

marauder_4

Post by marauder_4 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:05 pm

Guerrilla, but I don't think that I am bad at open field or one on one confrontation. CPS 2000 mk1 is my first choice, I like to use my MXL for outmanned soakfests. For lighter engagements I use an XP 150 or sometimes an SS 100 "New and Improved" mk2.

Techie

Post by Techie » Mon May 24, 2010 8:57 pm

I particularly like to go full auto with North Vietnamese tactics and styles similar to guerilla warfare. Basically, I like a good game of find the guy who's gonna beat the crap out of you with a water gun. I am am the guy being found.
You know what turned Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side. If I were called "Annie" for 20 years, I would get pretty pissed off too.

TheTyphoon

Post by TheTyphoon » Sun May 30, 2010 7:46 pm

I'm a Risk-Taker for most battles but only because I'm the only person around my area with a gun with decent power. My CPS 1000 generally rapes the Triple Shots, Helixes and Squirt Pistols that pop up around. And it's always fun killing a Flash Flood user who thinks he's the King. ;)
My Current Soaker Loadout: CPS 2500, SC 500, 1 x Water Balloon

Comrade117

Post by Comrade117 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:39 am

I use lonewolf, powerholic, guerilla style.
I have 40 l fireman backpack. There is hand pump mounted on it. You can switch between riot blast and regular stream.
Sweet range and power :)

uberninja333

Post by uberninja333 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:14 am

i happen to combine all of them. what ones i just happen to use reflect how i'm feeling, the warzone, objectives, and who my opponets are.
i thought this thread needs reviving, as its a good topic.
Why the f*** dose it seem like i'm the only one in north dakota on this site. if you live in sargent countty send me a message.

squad of 3 beats an army of one

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:44 am

Don't forget that this was written mostly with DX's specific deathmatch game rules in mind. Roles can shift about in various ways when game rules change, though this definitely fits the fundamentals pretty well. Of course, playing fields will also shift things around in a similar manner.

I often find it difficult to attribute even multiple styles to any particular player. Things change rapidly on the field and will often randomly demand random skills from random players, which happens in many gametypes. Obviously, the battle situation will also demand a wide variety of skills from the player, and players may experiment with different styles and loadouts, which is good as it sharpens different skills. While honing specific skills and playing styles is good, it's just as important to ensure as few skills as possible are lacking. A speedy, fast-dodging player who favors super-light loadouts and blasters should practice with heavier soakers and be proficient with them. A player who can only rely on standard CPS combat blasters and never pick up an XP 270 or MD6k will likely have trouble facing off in open areas and/or against faster players. (i.e. me, who needs to practice sprinting and running in general, but nonetheless I've made a few good kills on players who are more physically fit but seriously lack awareness.)

atvan

Post by atvan » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:51 am

I know tgis thread was bumped, but too bad. I put intuitive versitile risk-taking techie. Yes, its a lot, but it is how I fight. I can anticipate where the enemy is coming from, and what they are attempting to do. I love being forced to try something new, and I have the general stats memorized of most guns, except the damn XPs which all look the same. I come up with really abstract tactics that probably won't work, simply to confuse the enemy. Finally, I love building and designing.

My weaknesses are agressive juggernauts and reserved powerholics. I don't like weighing myself down too much, and don't like confrontation against a better prepared enemy. On the other hand, I also understand all to well that a reserved powerholic in a highly defensible position will be very difficult to take, and risks primarily meant to break apart an enemy won't work on one that is afraid to leave an encampment.
Me gyro, me fly plane.

My Blog

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:40 pm

It depends on the game. I am militaristic in mid to large scale games, but I act as a lone wolf in small scale.