Fall Shooters: Halo 3 ODST, Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2

Topics related specifically to video gaming.
C-A_99

Fall Shooters: Halo 3 ODST, Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:20 am

I don't post a lot here (which is odd because I spend far more time playing games than doing anything water warfare related), but since I'm finally getting an XBox 360 soon (just ordered it), I figured, why not. While I prefer the PC (for free maps/content, mods, better graphics, and mouse/keyboard), the 360 has some games the PC doesn't, and is generally a better choice for LANs, plus it'll be a long while until I'm able to build a decent rig.

My gamertag is t3hb1gb0i but won't be active for some time. (depending on when the 360 comes, when I buy more Live, and when I beat single player campaigns)

Anyways, I'm not going to make a thread for each new game, so I'll leave this for the fall games and 360 games in general. I haven't played much of each so far though.

ODST:
The most obvious to this is that you can still play like a Spartan, soaking up needles and spikes like a sponge even on higher difficulties. Personally, I think the entire Halo series could've been made more "realistic" (in the sense of the Halo universe). They tried to balance the ODST by letting them carry more grenades, giving them better weapons, taking off the speed penalty for lugging a huge heavy .50 minigun around, and having their grenades throw farther. Of course, the stamina system has drawn criticism too, but those people aren't looking at how WWII shooters run entirely off of a health regenerating system. The one in ODST provides a balance between being forced to spend time searching for health packs and being able to take a few shots without terribly heavy damage.

Perhaps they could've changed things up to balance the ODST gameplay, by putting even more emphasis on the team as well as having things like air/vehicle support, weapon and numerical advantages, etc. while putting the health down to realistic levels to compensate. (in the live action shorts, a single spiker round can critically wound marines if it hits the right spot, of course, the spikers in those video clips also had a much lower rate of fire)

I'm sure most of those who bought the map packs for Halo 3 aren't happy either. Thought this wouldn't apply to me since I never even had Halo 3, it's a pretty bad business practice and this isn't the first time they did things like that.

MW2: CoD4 on PC had numerous problems with connection lag (probably due to netcode) and with more players, battlefields became spawn-rape fests littered with bullet spraying, grenade spamming, and of course, choppers and airstrikes dominating the skies. MW2's killstreak rewards looked pretty stupid at firsthand too especially since most of them can still be used even after whoever controls them gets shot. There seems to be too many rewards and the "tactical nuke" looks like a bad idea.

That said, I haven't played it yet. A lot of gameplay looks very similar to the first MW, but perhaps the weapon enhancements and perk changes will work things out for the better.

L4D2: I've only played the demo and it seemed that they could've made this an add-on to L4D. Perhaps the decided on a new release for cleaner coding, better graphics, AI director changes, and the like, and most of the changes seem like what they aspired to do to L4D but weren't able to. (which is pretty evident by the fact that L4D only had ~10 weapons if you count the throwables) I'll be getting L4D2 for the 360, though once I build a computer I may sell it in favor for the PC version, which would be when the DLC starts showing up.

Any thoughts? Funny stories? Games to play? etc.

TheArbiter97

Re: Fall Shooters: Halo 3 ODST, Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2

Post by TheArbiter97 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:16 pm

1.i dont have an xbox cause
i'm kinda poor and stuck with money
2here are some games i would say

ODST:good game if you want a storyline but not the brightest light in multiplayer of you want multiplayer go for halo 3

you must have halo 1,2,3 and odst or just buy odst and halo 3

Mw2:umm guns and graphics are improved must have!

L4D2:not bad i tried the demo too i would sayy you woud want this

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:31 pm

I finally got my 360 last week, and have ODST and L4D2. Halo 3 is not necessary for it, in fact, I took ODST over H3 because of the complete muiltiplayer. Though of course, to play H3's campaign I'd have to borrow someone's.

Still haven't gotten a chance to play MW2 yet.

I finished all campaigns on L4D2 single player (to familiarize with them before going online). The fact that the bots aren't too good is more of a problem in L4D2 especially when you can't go and take on a horde by yourself like in L4D. (due to how much more they slow you down and the melee limitation)

TheArbiter97

Post by TheArbiter97 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:18 am

C-A_99 wrote:I finally got my 360 last week, and have ODST and L4D2. Halo 3 is not necessary for it, in fact, I took ODST over H3 because of the complete muiltiplayer. Though of course, to play H3's campaign I'd have to borrow someone's.

Still haven't gotten a chance to play MW2 yet.

I finished all campaigns on L4D2 single player (to familiarize with them before going online). The fact that the bots aren't too good is more of a problem in L4D2 especially when you can't go and take on a horde by yourself like in L4D. (due to how much more they slow you down and the melee limitation)
i dont get it the only multiplayer experience from odst is just a single 4 player survival game

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:44 am

And the entire muiltiplayer map collection which Halo 3 lacks. (aka the Mythic Disk) Must suck for those who bought the maps... but they seem to do stuff like that all the time.