General water gun discussion.
ThatToddGuy

Squirt Gun History!!

Post by ThatToddGuy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:32 am

Hey All,

I'm not sure if anyone out there can help me with this,
but my daughter has a school project,
and I was trying to help her out.

She needs to know a little history about the Squirt Gun.
(ie, when it was invented, by whom, etc)
I realize that this is a forum for Super Soakers,
but I thought that maybe someone out there might be able
to help me get some information about the original Squirt Gun.
Where might I go to get this information?

My daughter will really appreciate all the help we can offer
and I thank you very much!

Todd

SSCBen

Re: Squirt Gun History!!

Post by SSCBen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:52 am

I've done a lot of research for our water gun history pages (which are not online yet), and I can't offer much help about the squirt gun. I will write what I know. Some others might be able to fill in some more details. There are many different designs and they were invented over a wide range of times. The earliest designs used a rubber ball that was squeezed to fire. Later ones incorporated the trigger system we are familiar with today.

If I remember correctly, patents put the genesis of the squirt gun in the late 1800s, likely the late 1880s. Some of these guns were meant for self defense and not recreation. They were supposed to be loaded with harmful chemicals.

The oldest one I have seen is the USA Liquid Pistol. There's a photo on this page: http://www.isoaker.com/Info/article.cfm ... ll_of_fame

Later in the 1910s squirt guns were used in fraternity initiation ceremonies from what I've read in patents. Some patents were made for rifle shaped water guns for those purposes.

Later in the 50s until the 70s, a company called Park Plastics was the largest producer of plastic water guns. They remained the largest producer until motorized water guns came out in the 80s by Entertech and Larami. A few years after that, the Super Soaker came out, and a year or two after that, it became popular.

That's a very basic outline of the history of the squirt gun. If I remember anything else I'll add more, but I can't provide much help because there is not much known. Sadly most of that information has been lost to time.

ThatToddGuy

Post by ThatToddGuy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:13 am

Ben,

Thanx for the quick and informative response!
That is actually all of the information that I really need to have.
I will be the hero for my daughter when she wakes up in the morning,
Thank You!!

Todd

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:11 pm

Welcome to SSC, ThatToddGuy! :)

I'm just curious: were you referring to squirt pistols, in which you just squeeze the trigger to shoot a thin stream? Or are you talking about full-size water guns such as the Super Soaker?

Ben will probably link to the history articles from this page when they're ready. Until then, this page, also from iSoaker.com, may interest you if you're looking for Super Soaker information.