Wii360 Gaming Centre review

Topics related specifically to video gaming.
ZOCCOZ

Wii360 Gaming Centre review

Post by ZOCCOZ » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:17 pm

Wii360 gaming centre Review

Last year the US Xbox president mentioned that he was a fan of the Wii, and recomended to get an Xbox 360 and a Wii. That resulted in a term called Wii360 that some critics now throw jokingly around. Nevertheless, its a good idea and certainly was a usuable concept for my next gen entertainment centre(which got me completly broke by the way.) Anyways, this review includes the Nintendo Wii, Xbox360 and Symphonic LCD TV.

Aestetic unity
All the elements come well together. The Wii and Xbox360 don't just have the same colour, but also share a somewhat similar design. Both standing next to each other gives the impression that its 1 big unit. Meanwhile the Wii motion censor receiver has the same colour as most LCD tvs, blending in idealy, just as it does on the Symphonic. All of these electronic devices are connected to a $50 CAN powersurge protector.

Nintendo Wii
-$310 CAN (including taxes)
-1 Nunchuck controller, Wii Sports, connection cables, Wii console, batteries, Wii censor receiver
- 480i, 480p
- whide screen
- build in wireless internet adapter

It should be noted that I have been a gamer since 1991, being one of the last wave of NES users. Gaming experiences vary, and the experience from one console to the next gen one varies in small and in large. As an example the experience change from PS1's Tekken 3 to PS2's Tekken Tag wasn't realy big. While the switch from Mrs. Packman to Super Mario was huge. And I will say this, the Wii controller made this another big leap from what we have played before. The way you know is, if you experienced a gameplay that hasn't been experienced previously. The last big change like that for me was the switch from 2D and basic gamepad controll to complete vibrant 3D and Analog controll. And i will also say this, same like N64's analog, the Nunchuck controller will be the template for upcoming next gen consoles. While alot of current gamers like to dismiss it as a gimmick, most game developers are exited about the feature. So guess who of those 2 groups have controll over the future of gaming. Also, the nunchuck controller has motion censor AND rumble shock feature.

The Nintendo Wii comes with Wii Sports which includes 5 sports games: Tennis, Baseball, Bowling, Golf and Boxing. In past gen consoles I only realy liked playing tennis while the rest where just mediocre to plain suck-ass gameplay. Its fair to say, sports games somewhat bore me since the actual sport is much more fun. But with the Nunchuck Controllers I actualy enjoyed playing all of those games and they had that element of realism that makes actual sports fun in the first place. If those games would have been analog, I would have just played for 2-3 minutes then switched it off and returned the Wii. No need to do that with the controller. "Gimmick" or not, it made me play tennis for 3 hours straight without noticing how fast time went by. Unlike the itoy on PS2, the Nunchuck controller motion censor is incredibly sophisticated. The direction you hit will determined the direction you will hit the ball to, while the force you use will determine the power. Wrist twist technics will also spin the ball or direction to make it more complex when playing higher levels. In short, the whole Wii Sports game was something new and entertaining that I never played before. And that can only be a good thing.
The next game I will buy will be Zelda Twillight Princess, which was 4 years in the making and even impressed hardcore graphic shooter gamers after playing it.

While of all next gen consoles, the Wii seems to have the most "next gen gameplay experience", graphics are only slightly over current gen making the switch from 480i to 480p. While it still is a difference(especialy on an LCD or Plasma TV), it doesn't compare to 720p or 1080p. Plus you have to buy a componnet cable and have a TV that has progressive scan. Otherwhise its just 480i on the Wii for you. Now having said that, if gameplay is more important to you than state of the art graphics, the Wii should still be a good investment for you. The future of the Wii seems fairly promesing, since game developers have a genuine interest. And thats how you know that creative and quality games are soon to come. Plus do I have to mention Mario Galaxy?

As far as I know you probably can play online against friends, but I have not tried it yet. When it comes to online Play, I do not know much about the Wii capabilities yet. In case its not there, I don't see why it should be there in the near future. The Wii doesn't play DVDs. As for other Wii features, there are the Wii chanels. These are Wii features that you point and click on. Those features include the weather channel, news chanel, the internet and a store chanel where you can buy old classic NES,SNES, SEGA games and so on online with Wii points. Yes, you heard correct. You can surf the internet using the Nunchuck controller motion censor. It feels very scifi. Before I forget, the Wii has a build in wireless internet. Which is a good deal since those usualy cost seperatly $100-$150 CAN for PC or Xbox360. The Wii wireless internet is fairly solid in connection. The shopping channel sometimes is interupted, but that problem has been fixed now and it barely happens. The other Wii chanels are fine.

The durability of the Wii at this point is exelent. No bugs, crashes or glitches. Just like any other Nintendo new release. The Wii is definatly recomendable gaming system and a multipurpose tool.

Xbox 360 Premium holiday edition
-$560 CAN (including tax)
- 1 Wireless controller, Ghost Recon Advances War fighter, Arcade, connection cables, Xbox 360 Console, batteries
- 720p, 1080i
- whide screen

Xbox 360 is to Xbox/PS2 consoles what PS2 was to PS1. Better graphics, better gameplay and more features. And while the gameplay is not as inovative as the Wii controller, the gameplay is still next gen. How do i know? The Gaming experience was new as in more realistic feeling, more complex and fluent compared to previous consoles. Using Componnet cables, The Xbox 360 graphics is phenominal on the LCD TV. Oddly, 720p looks a tiny bit better than 1080i. Aparently progressive scan is more important than higher polygons. But both still beat the 480i that I got accustomed to on PS2 and Gamecube.
The Wireless controller is fairly good and comfortable. Sometimes even more comfortable than my PS2 one. The xbox 360 wireless controller comes close to the N64 controller which according to critics is hailed as the best designed controller untill now.

Arcade is just a compilation of specific tetris typ arcade games, but even those look good. But where the next gen experience realy starts is with Ghost Recon Advanced War fighter(GRAW). Visualy exelent when it comes to animation, colour depth, plygon count, and environment interaction. It also changed my mind on shooters. Before I didn't like shooters since the actual action of shooting is boring and anti-climactic in a game. But in GRAW, its not the shooting, but how you shoot. Shooting is used as a tool for a combat simulation rather than a run-around-shoot experience such as Quake. GRAW reminded me on Mechwarrior 3(One of my favorite PC games) which was a sophisticated mech simulator even for todays standard where you strategicaly customize your mechs armour, engine and firepower, even giving squad comands. It was technicaly a shooter, but counted as a mech simulator. Prity advanced for a 1999 game. Shooting is just a tool, tacticaly used for a bigger game experience. And that is what GRAW basicaly is. Just instead of a mech simulator its a futuristic soldier simulator. The harmony of gameplay, graphics, sound and environment give it a quality that the PS2 SOCCOM games didn't have(SOCCOM was a total overated mediocre bore to me and turned me of tactical sooters untill GRAW). Ghost Recon Advanced War fighter is a good introduction to the Xbox 360.
The next game that I want to buy is Elders Scrolls Oblivion. Its one of the reason why I bought an Xbox360.

Of all next gen consoles, the Xbox 360 seems to have the brightest future. A high interest by many game developers who want to make games for the system, and now many among them are Japanese developers, who before stayed away from non japanese consoles. Also the Xbox360 has the most varied third party developers from North America, Europe and Asia. So there is more creativity from different cultures rather than just primarly Japan as it was in the past with consoles. More involved cultures, more inovation. Its that simple. Games whise, Bioshock and especialy Mass Effect are highly anticipated games. Overlord and Fable 2 are other ones that play around with grey zone moral gameplay. And do I have to mention Halo2, Two Worlds and Elders Scrolls Shivering Isles?

The Xbox360 has something called the "dash board". Its like an online book with pages including Xbox live, Games, Media and system. Xbox live is online play, games is about gamers profile and game/dvd, media is about music/photo/movie features, while system lets you edit the console configurations. Very straight forward.
That what should be mentioned most is Xbox live which is suposedly its strong point. You have 1 Online gamer profile that will be used for every game, which should be practical. And if you have the Xbox 360 cam you can even talk to people on your TV like on Star Trek. While the Xbox 360 has an ethernet connection, the wireless adapter is sold seperartly for $150 CAN. So I still have to buy a 70 foot ethernet cable to play Online since that is still cheaper than the wireless adapter. The Xbox 360 Premium edition comes with a 20 gig harddrive, which you need for Xbox Live.You can watch DVDs on the Xbox 360, but the quality won't be that good like on an actual DVD player. Strangely even the PS2 DVD player is better. But you wouldn't want to use up your Xbox 360 for DVDs and shorten its durability.

Durability is not the strongpoint of the Xbox 360. A common problem especialy with first year assembly line models. If you can buy an extended warranty with the console, you should do that. But other than that, the Xbox 360 console is definatly recomendable.

Symphonic 32" HDTV LCD Television
-$950 CAD (including tax)
- 32 inch screen
- 1000:1 contrast
- 1366 x 768 resolution
- 8ms response time
- HD ready
- 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
- whide screen

After a conversation at futureshop with one of the employes, I found out that all LCD TVs have basicaly the same durability since the factories are made all the same in China. Doesn't matter if its Sony, Panasonic or LG. They only vary in picture quality and features. After hearing that, I went to Wal-Mart and bought the 32 inch HDTV LCD Tv that had the best picture quality under $1000. (Hey, I don't have the cash for a 32" $1500 panasonic or a 50" $2000 Plasma). I just want a good affordable gaming TV. And the Symphonic is certainly that. 2 component vidio outputs, 2 S-vidio outputs, same response time as $2000 LCDs, High Definition and christal clear picture make this one a keeper for guys on a budget. Plus I bought it on Boxing week, so I payed under $900 CAD.

Summary
I payed $310 for the Wii, $664 including 3 year warranty for the Xbox 360 and $820 for the Symphonic LCD HDTV. So its around $1800 CAD ($1552 US) with additional component cables. Thats alot of dough and its the cause why I am temporarly broke untill my next paycheck. However its not that bad if compared to a new computer. Monitor, tower and printer together would be around $2000 CAD. And that does not include an x10 graphics card or a Duo processor that is faster than 2.1ghz. So its not even a realy good computer. Plus in 6 months that computer will have lost 20-30% of its price, while consoles will still cost the same by then. Also there are not as many good PC games coming out as when you put together the Wii and xbox 360 library. I don't mean to slam PCs, and I still want to buy a good PC sooner or later (2.4ghz+x10 graphics card). Buts its a matter of getting your most bang for your buck. And the Wii360 gaming centre is certainly it. Both consoles seem to compliment each other giving you the best gaming experience that next gen consoles have to offer enhanced by the LCD HDTV screen. I can't realy decide which console is better, since I simply like both for their unique qualities. Which is why as a whole, its an exelent gaming centre.
------------------
*My thoughts on the PS3
Since I don't own one its not realy a PS3 review, but my quick impression from what i have seen sofar gaming with it at stores. Graphics whise it seems to be identical with the Xbox 360. PS3 games suposedly run best at 1080p, but if you have a normal LCD TV, its just 720p or 1080i for you. Critics said that the PS3 seems to have slower framerates simply because the graphics is targeted higher. Since I usualy have only played it on a store LCD that had it on 720p, the frame rate seems ok. Then again, I only played the racing game(fairly good) and the basketball one(piece of crap game), so those won't stress a console. But yeah, visualy, I can't see much of a difference. It has been mentioned even though its graphics is targeted at 1080p, since the PS3 graphics card only is around 500mghz, if you stress the graphics something else will go. So overall graphics whise even 1080p will not look much better than 720p.So most games in order to have smooth framerate will be more 720p compatible. The other thing is that LCD TVs that feature 1080p are still very new and experimental with costs well over $2000 CAD.
The PS3 dashborad is not as straight forward as the Xbox 360 one and is more a scroll down library typ system than a virtual colour coded page system. And to certain reviews you need to create a user name for every game online and once you play you won't know if new people just got online.
My biggest criticism is the controller. None of the demo games I played had sixaxis, so I can't say much about that. However the controller itself just looks and feels like the PS2 one just abit less comfortable. The bottons are more slippery and the lack of dualshock makes it somewhat incomplete. I like the boomerang shape prototyp controller more. A next gen console without dualshock? Thats more a step back than forward. Even certain game developers criticized that.
As for Blu-Ray, I can't say much about it. Yeah, its fairly expensive just buying a Blu-Ray alone. But then again so was the DVD player when it just came out. It will take about a decade till Blu-Ray becomes mainstream. And by then we have a PS4 and even do previews about a PS5. So the Blu-Ray thing realy should have been optional or delayed for the next console. These are just my quick impressions, and it might be different than perceived.
That doesn't mean that the PS3 is bad, but it just means that I will wait till its under $400(the 60 gig version) and it perhaps comes in white. That way I would have a PSWii360. :D

Wii360 Gaming Centre pictures:
Last edited by ZOCCOZ on Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:35 pm

Thanks, you rarely get to see multiple reviews in context of each other. Pretty neat!

The PS3's graphical advantages will probably become evident in a few years. Remember how the PS2 and Xbox seemed fairly similar until the end?

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:47 pm

Developers experience has also much to do with graphics. Newer games usualy push the envelope even though its on the same console. Since Xbox 360 has 1 year of a head start, current graphics would be equal to current PS3 graphics. Same next year when PS3 will have 1 year experience while Xbox 360 will have 2 years. Granted, PS3 developers might catch on quicker and surpass greatly the Xbox 360 graphics, but its much harder and tidiuos to make and learn working on a system that supports Blu-Ray.

CROC

Post by CROC » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:43 pm

ZOCCOZ- Was the Wii worth the $310 that you paid for it?
:rolleyes: Maybe you could just get a PS3 and paint the case white :D
Nice reviews though. The 360 (I have one) is nice, and does not have many problems, except for going though batteries quickly.
~CROC
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:59 am

I would say it is worth the $310 CAN. ;)
At least more worth than a digital camera, since those go down in price faster.

CROC

Post by CROC » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:38 pm

Thanks,
Just a few questions:
- What do Wii games look like?
- How do they load in to the Wii?
- Is the Wii fun to play?
I am hopefully going to get one of these soon
-Croc

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:46 pm

-Wii games are CD/DVD sized.
-The games are being loaded just like the CD player of a car, so its a step ahead in that respect over the competition(sliding disks in is much more smoother and practical than having to open drives)
-The Wii is fun to play, and that fun factor will be its main selling point

Before I forget, you can play Gamecube games with enhanced graphical ability(480p), and you can use Gamecube controllers and memory cards aswell.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:36 am

I believe most GCN's also support 480p (heard they stopped doing that later), but it depends on the game and whether it supports it. Does the Wii support 480p on any game? Because I think the GCN's design architecture is more of what limited 480p support than the games.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:41 am

All games including GC games will be 480p resulution if you have the component cables. WHich does not mean that they will have 480p graphics as in progressive scan graphics. Graphics on most GC games will be still 480i, but on a 480p resolution(more vibrent colours and more crisp.) Its like when you play your PS2 games on the PS3 and they look all jaggy and blocky, its because the resolution is on 720p while the graphics is still on 480i showing the dated graphics. However, 480p resolution on GC games looks better than the 480i resulution, so you won't have the disapointment that some of us(like me) had when using HDTV component cables on a PS2 when connecting it to a LCD TV.

As for Wii games, they all are meant for 480p and whide screen as far as I know.

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:29 pm

I am going to get a Wii in mid april, when I get 200+ dollars to spend at any store I want, so I am happy with that. What game should I get, when I get one?
~CROC~
-Croc

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:33 am

Zelda should be one of those must have games. I will buy it once I finished Elders Scrolls Oblivion. And if you don't mind mediocre graphics, Red Steel would be a good buy to.