super soaker game

Topics related specifically to video gaming.

soaker video game?

yay
84%
nay
16%

Total votes: 19

vaporizer_2

super soaker game

Post by vaporizer_2 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:07 pm

Recently, I have learned how to program games in game maker. The link to the website to download gamemaker is gamemaker.nl. Many people have thought about a soaker video game, with a full single player mode and other features, but gamemaker is easy to make games with, so it's a reality now.

I need ideas for what the game is going to be like, so post any ideas that you even vaguely have.

I could easily make a top down shooter style of game, but a real time strategy game would also be possible.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:13 pm

From what I know, Gamemaker makes overhead type games. Not really ideal for a water gun game, but sure, go ahead and make one. It might be a near 2D shooter reminiscent of Castle Wolvenstein. In fact, if it was like that, it'd definitely be fun.

Though, neat water gun games already exist:

http://www.water-wars.net/ww.php
http://www.abakomp.dk/supersoaker/

Those are just two that I have seen. I know there probably are more.

vaporizer_2

Post by vaporizer_2 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:42 pm

Any ideas for the game?

A title for the game will also be needed.

Any ideas are welcome.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:21 pm

I voted in favor of this game, but I actually don't really see any success for it. With professionally-made games out there, this probably won't attract my attention and that of many others. However, I will definitely take a good look at it and give it a fair chance.

Probably (99%), though, you're mainly doing this for fun, in which case I definitely support it--and I'll enjoy it, too (and this is why I wholeheartedly voted yes). Maybe we do have a budding game designer out there. At any rate, I'll give some suggestions once I have the time to think of some. In the meantime, good luck!

vaporizer_2

Post by vaporizer_2 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:35 pm

I never really intended to sell/market my game. I want to improve my skills at making games, so I combined two things I like.

Ideas please! (for game ideas and a game name)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:59 pm

I'm pretty sure that my Castle Wolvenstein comment was a suggestion. ;)

Anyway, we can't make this game for you. If you really want to improve your game making skills, logically wouldn't you think of everything yourself? Creativity in making a game is as an important skill as the ability to make it. :)

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:42 am

I went to the "water war" VG site - and I have no idea what to do...

Is it a mod for another game, or is it a stand-alone???
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:21 am

The Water Wars website is a modification for Half-Life 2 I believe. I wish it was standalone myself.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:19 pm

Strangely, while you'd think the Water Wars mod project would be outdated and abandoned since it's still just for Half-Life (I can't get on the page right now, but I thought it was for HL 1 instead of HL 2). However, the site is fairly updated, so I guess they're going slow and steady.

In contrast, I think it might be easier to just do a map or two for Star Wars Battlefront II. I've got the official mod tools and I'm doing fairly well on my first map, and I suppose I could get XSI and try doing some new classes. I'll consider this once I'm done with the current Yavin 4 infantry map I'm currently working on...

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:46 pm

Gah. I've got BF2 on the Xbox, so none of your moddage for me. However, don't let that stop you - the basic game engine is very good.

@Ben: I think that doing it for HL 1 is be fine. Writing a game from scratch is a flipping nightmare.

For Half Life 2 - you'd need a Cray supercomputer just to manage the texure mapping.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:14 pm

I believe you are pointing out the problems with mod maps on consoles; and I see your point. However, with an official expansion pack coming out, we might get an insight on how to put such addon maps on the XBox.

And for some more random information on the XBox expansion pack...
- It comes out in January (might have been delayed, though)
- It will have some new heroes, including Kit Fisto and Asajj Ventress from the cartoon that I don't watch.
- More importantly, it will bring back four SWBF1 maps, which are...
---Bespin: Cloud City (a decent infantry-only urban map, with two levels)
---Yavin 4: Arena (a square stone arena with close and intense infantry fighting, with vehicles outside)
---Rhen Var: Citadel (incredibly tactical infantry-only map, urban and elevated)
---Rhen Var: Harbor (a fun, somewhat urban vehicle map)

But then again, the charm of Citadel and Harbor were being able to spawn as the Jettrooper (or even the Darktrooper in Harbor; you didn't need to unlock classes) and have 5/7 of the command posts in Citadel or 3 tanks (2 of your own and one of the enemy's) + a transport against 1 enemy tank on Harbor, both under 1 minute. At any rate, I'll start discussing the possibilities of a SWBF2 water wars-related map...

First off, I've just realized (I had been thinking about earlier) that the name must be RP-related; for example, I could do the Tempest camp at 2 in RP III, but it would really just be endless rows of tents unless I made many major changes. Who knows, if I use an RP name and some SSC references and it becomes popular, traffic here might increase just a bit--although I doubt it.

The classes would be pretty straightforward, with WBLs (grenade launchers with white/blue explosions [EMP]) for the rocket classes and homemades for the unlockable classes. I wouldn't be so cruel as to restrict people to modern commercial soakers, but maybe a significant increase in power for the homemades will increase general interest in them.

GRUNT--CPS 3200/1700/2700 depending on faction
Argon/Defender depending on faction
water balloons (EMP grenade without timer)

ROCKETEER--Douchenator, appearance depends on faction
water balloons
some type of water mine

ENGINEER--CPS 1-3-5/2-liter/fan blast, etc. depending on faction
plumber's monkey wrench or primer and cement
2-liter dispenser

SNIPER--CPS 2000/2500 depending on faction
water balloons

SPECIAL--homemades, CPS 1000/1200/2100 as backup, etc.

I could utilize the following weapon features: overheating, ammunition, overheating with charge capability, and ammunition with charge capability. Ammunition with charge capability would work well as the default, especially if I include riot blasts, Flash Floods, Scorpions, and the like.

vaporizer_2

Post by vaporizer_2 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:43 am

Ben wrote:I'm pretty sure that my Castle Wolvenstein comment was a suggestion. ;)

Anyway, we can't make this game for you. If you really want to improve your game making skills, logically wouldn't you think of everything yourself? Creativity in making a game is as an important skill as the ability to make it. :)

I was talking about elements for the game, like levels, characters, and other things that you would normally find in a game. I could make levels for the game designed around areas where people actually wage water warfare if they made a map, or for fictional warfare areas, like the huge whitehead mountain area described in wetmonkey's ultimate war story. Of course, putting the levels together would be a lot easier if I had maps of the actual places.

If I'm not mistaken, Nibordude and Duxburian have water wars with Belisaurius. That would make a good map, especially if I made people into characters in the game. I would need permission to put someone's likeness into a game though.

If you want to be put into the game, tell me so, and provide the water weapon loadout that you usually carry into a battle.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:45 pm

Nay, the snipers should have sniping WBLs - like... Cerberus!

Or the Aqualabs thingamajig.

Health = towel.
Ammo droid = Tap

How are you going to incorporate the award system?

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:40 pm

joannaardway wrote:Health = towel.
Ammo droid = Tap
Neat, I like those suggestions! Those are naturally excellent choices, but if we're using towels like that, perhaps I need to revise the way people lose health and "die." Maybe, if I can find the "death" animation, I can replace that with crouching or something--and that would be cool indeed. And if that's possible, it would also be cool to create a character for any map who could "play dead"...
joannaardway wrote:Nay, the snipers should have sniping water balloon launchers - like... Cerberus!

Or the Aqualabs thingamajig.
I'll consider high-powered water balloon launchers for sniping, as that's really how one might use them in water wars...and I suppose you could consider "artillery" closer to "sniping" in this case than it is to "rocket launching." I'll definitely consider that option, but I might just leave it as a rocket launcher and use Cerberus or something as the unlockable. The special feature from unlocking will pretty much make the shot straighter and farther, and less like the arc found in real rocket launchers and in water balloon launchers.

And speaking of such weapon information...all the soakers will have arcing shots with minimal to no splash damage. I don't know much about how the coding was done to get various damage and shot effects with the various types of weapons, but I can compare and contrast the stats for beam weapons (since damage will be based on contact time), mortar launchers (since the ordnance will have a steeply arcing trajectory), and all the various weapons that have charging capabilities (since I could use that to add a riot blast, extra charging in SPCgHs, etc.), and the like. There's really a ton of potential here...

On the same note, I will base water balloon launchers nearly entirely off of mortar launchers--and not the grenade launchers used by Wookiees. They will have arcing shots, a lot of splash damage, instant kills, and I can define the EMP explosion or create a new, blue/white explosion for the actually "water" splash. Of course, they won't be as fun as grenade launchers in the game, since you can't fend off hordes by being able to launch ammunition quickly. Oh well...
joannaardway wrote:How are you going to incorporate the award system?
Actually, suggesting the awards system makes things even better--believe it or not. Now I can add far more soakers, so things are really looking up...

Do you have any more suggestions concerning the damage system? If I can actually get people to crouch once they die, and if the soakers are as I detailed with a bit of splash damage and damage depending on time, then everything might come together fairly well. Game types would include Conquest and 2-flag CTF, although I could also use 1-flag CTF--it's just that in CTF, nobody really guards your flag.
Last edited by Silence on Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:08 pm

Okay, so the new classes for the good guys might be:

Water Warrior
primary weapon: CPS 2100 (award: 17.21K or CPS 2500)
secondary weapon: WW Argon (award: PreCharged WW Argon)
sidearm: water balloons

Water Artillery Spe******t (maybe)
primary weapon: Douchenator (award: Cerberus)
primary sidearm: water balloons
secondary sidearm: water mines (maybe)

Water Gun Technician (maybe)
primary weapon: CPS 1-3-5 (award: maybe a 1-3-5K, if that has been done)
secondary weapon: plumber's monkey wrench
primary sidearm: twisted water balloons
secondary sidearm: towel and 2-liter dispenser
technician award: can repair the vehicle he's in

Splash Sniper
primary weapon: CPS 2500 (award: 2250)

Ben
primary weapon: SuperCAP (charge it for a riot blast)
secondary weapon: anything he wants, perhaps a second nozzle
primary sidearm: water balloons (or maybe a Defense boost)

Duxburian (or joannaardway or SilentGuy)
primary weapon: CPS 2500 (or anything he wants, maybe a homemade)
secondary weapon: water cannon :D

If I ever do this map, it will have to be in a while--pretty much, after I get better at XSI modeling (I'm terrible right now, having only done a couple of tutorials). However, if I do get better at XSI, chances are excellent that I'll want to do a movies-style Coruscant first...

But it's still fun to plan, so I'm still up for suggestions. Modeling the skins for the characters (pretty much beach clothing) and the droids (maybe even just putting towel on the health droid's arms :p and putting 2-liters or a tap onto an ammo droid) will be necessary, but hopefully pretty easy...and while I can't do the weapon models yet, I can set up their statistics and the shot effects.
Last edited by SSCBen on Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.