PSP vs Nintendo DS

Topics related specifically to video gaming.

Which one would you most likely buy?

Playstation Pocket (PSP)
50%
Nintendo DS
50%

Total votes: 36

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:58 pm

Personally I like the PSP's multi-functionality of being able to play music, movies, and games as well as being able to store digital photos. It also uses memory sticks, which gives it more room to store.
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:04 am

The DS, of course, because I already have one.

The touch screen offers much more precise control than an analog stick, the GBA slot could be used for expansions, and the graphics are pretty darn good. Also, the DS has a 10-hour battery life, compared to the PSP's 3.

Although I do have to admit the PSP does look sort of neat...
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:31 am

PSP. I've used both and I can easily say that the look and feel of the PSP is much better than the DS. The PSP has better graphics. Plus, their games are so freakin awesome! I can't wait to go back to school and play with my friends PSP again.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:54 pm

The PSP has much more than three hours of battery life. That is all dependent on how you're using it. Battery consumption differs from using it for games or for watching movies. I think it's eight hours of play if you're using it for games and up to five for movies.

Toaster

Post by Toaster » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:05 pm

null vote. even if I had the money, I lack the incentive, the interest, and the sheer willpower needed to keep my brothers from 'appropriating' either one of those. Besides, I don't really like the DS, and the PSP is kinda stupid because it won't play PS1 or PS2 games.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:04 pm

BTW, the PSP stand for Play Station Portable.

Toaster, how do you expect to play PS1 and PS2 games on a small little hand held game device? The disk changer would be huge.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:23 pm

At the moment I am planning on buying neither due to the obsecenely high cost and my lack of funds right now. However when I do get money and prices drop, I will pick up a Sony PSP. They Nintendo DS is cool too, but the PSP has a "sexy" appeal to it, and to me has more appealing games, not that the DS doesn't have any. Null Vote.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:49 am

My Japanese friend knows someone in Japan that works for Nintendo and someone else who works for Sony. He got both. The only problem is that since it is a Japan model, he can't use American games on either. :P

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:56 am

Null vote. I really think my time could be better spent modding/building soakers than playing video games

perilous1

Post by perilous1 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:26 am

I think the DS is better, thuogh I have only heard bad things about the PSP and only good things about the DS. I guess that where I am people think the DS is better.

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:44 pm

PSP FO SHO*! It has Wipeout, and that's like my favorite game ever!

Besides, it can be hacked to be a web browser so you can browse the net.

*Fo Sho means For Sure just in case you didn't know. ;)
I don't check this forum anymore.

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:40 pm

There have been a ton of reports about PSPs having dead pixels, broken screens, and damaged buttons right out of the box. Also, a handheld is usually used during short breaks. With the DS's cartriges, you don't need to worry about any loading time. With the PSP, you have to wait for the disc to spin up to speed.
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:00 pm

Well if the PSP has problems, that smart thing to do is take it back to the store and get a new one. I have never heard about the PSP's loading times, but the disc is small, so the loading time couldn't be that long anyway. And you can't assume that all handhelds are used during short breaks. I use my old GameBoy Advance on long flights and road trips, sometimes at school and sometimes I play just when I'm bored. Maybe that's what you use it for, but that doesn't go for everyone.

soakup

Post by soakup » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:19 pm

I don't mean to be a jerk but it is playstation portable oh and I think that the psp is more for the mature audience playing M rated games and stuff I say psp
sponge+James Collins+ water=soakup

death angel

Post by death angel » Sun May 15, 2005 10:47 am

I'd have to go with the DS because of it's best at what's is meant for. If I want to watch movies, I'll use a DVD player. If I want to listen to music, I'll use my walkman. And if I want to game, than I'll use a DS (Because I think that the Touch Screen is cool.)
Nintendo DS Forums!
No longer undiscussed!