Fixing Mxl

Threads about water gun modifications.
BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:10 pm

I'm trying to fix my friends Monster XL before the big battle this weeked. I was woundering I you guys could help me?
My friend says that when he first got it, you had to turn it at a certain angle to pump it. Its been 2 years since then, and now the pump doesn't work at all. During the battle, I will not have a quick-fill available, so I wanted to get this thing working.
I figured it was probably the pump seal. I opened it up (wholy XPBackfire-esque, this thing has a lot of screws) and took out the inner pump shaft. The screw that is normally at the bottum to seal it, was not in, so I used epoxy to replace it. Then I improved the pump seal with electrical tape. After putting all the screws back in, I tested it. No improvment whatsoever. I'm sure I must of helped it anyways.
I can't figure out what is wrong. When I pump out, I can't feel any water coming into the pump shaft. And none either why I pump back it in. What is wrong that no water is reaching the shaft?

thnx in advance :)
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:28 pm

Hmm...this sounds as if the one way valve attached to the end of the pump, and that the water from the resevoir lows throguh is broken or clogged. Valves are touchy subjects because if they are broken, you will need to replace them, and that can be a little hard. The more likely situation is that your friend had some gunk in their that was sucked to the bottom through the pump valve, and got clogged up in there, blocking the valve.

The part about your friend havign to turn that gun at an angle to pump sounds normal. Most large blasters (CPS, Monster class) have the resevoir openings at the bottom front of the tank. You must turn that gun downward a bit to pump the last of the water in the tank.

I am not an expert in repairing, and Doom can probably help you out more than I can. The MXL would be a great gun this summer, so good luck on fixing it! :)
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:42 pm

I know what you mean, but you had to point it almost straight up. I don't think it has to do with clogging, since it has always not worked well. Even right out of the box.

EDIT: straight up! Not straight down! :o
BlueSoak.net

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:48 am

Well, if you haven't tried putting water in it you might want to try that. ;) Umm, well I guess it could be a screwed up valve. Take out the internals and listen closely while you pump it. Listen for the valves to open and close. Then you might be able to find the troubled valve, it probably is the check valve before the pump. In that case, you could replace it with a store bought check valve, you'll just have to make room for it somehow, but the MXL is a big soaker so with the right stuff (and relocation) I'm sure you could do it.

blaze

Post by blaze » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:05 am

well, 'stin, what you COULD do is move the battle to someplace with a HOSE so my team doesn't have to bring buckets of water over to a stupid park! that way your mxl would work just fine with the qfd! if the valve is messed up, and is clogged, nothing would go in it. it would be a vacuum if you pulled the shaft forward. something that COULD be the problem is a blocked valve AND a hole in the shaft. put everything in water an see if there's a hole.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:58 am

There would be a vacuum, but likely you wouldn't be able to feel it when you pump unless it is a good seal (valve may only be part broken, broken enough). I've also noticed that pump caps can bend to a shape needed in a situation like that. That may be why it doesn't have a vacuum. Either way, look out for a hole when you do what I said it my other post.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:17 am

how do you get from whatever small plastic pipping Super Soaker uses, to half inch PVC? I doubt I could do it anyways. The internals are so crouded in that gun anywayz because of the huge reserve, and pressure tanks. I would have to use a sanding drill to make custom parts. Those check valves are so big. I'll wait to do this. I couldn't have it done by the weekend. I guess I'll let my dad look at it.
BlueSoak.net