Homemade Customizations

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Hawk

Homemade Customizations

Post by Hawk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:34 am

There have been many ideas on adding features that were available on various Super Soakers to homemade APCs and CPSs. Examples:

strap with 2 or 3 positions - made with 1" webbing and parts from fabric store
adjustable nozzle - standard feature of homemade with a screw on nozzle
Max-D trigger - standard on homemades with ball valve
on-board reservoir - made with 3" PVC and connectors up to 3qts
clear reservoir - Ben found clear PVC to create a reservoir with
Arctic blast - with an on-board reservoir and a large cap that accepts ice cubes

There are a few features I have not seen ideas for:

pressure gauge for PC
Max Infusion style pack with quick release
Super Charger quick fill

Any features that I missed?

cantab

Re: Homemade Customizations

Post by cantab » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:39 am

Pressure gauges are easy to implement for aph and similar. No-one bothers because it's extra cost.
The 2l homemade is a quick-fill gun.

I don't think anyone's designed a quick-release backpack. Personally, I'd suggest using garden hose fittings for the purpose.

As for what else - threaded nozzles are all well and good, but no-one's made a successful nozzle selector yet.

Also I don't know of any ergonomic designs.

Double barrels - it's been considered mind, but is perhaps more of a gimmick than of serious use.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:10 am

Looking at the 2L homemade and playing with a hose and my APH, I realized that if you have a double female house, the APH can be quick filled from a hose bib like an SC. So that feature is pretty much built into the 3/4" barrel homemade. A 1/2" barrel homemade would require a 3/4" adapter PVC piece (probably a 3/4" male and 1/2" female reducer if available).

I'm using 1/2" pipe insulation and sports grip tape to create more ergonomic handles on my APH models. It makes them feel a little more substantial and dosen't tire out the hands as much.

The only consideration I've given to a double barrel is maybe an over/under with 2 triggers and both attached to the same PCs, to create a Flash Flood style soaker. That way one barrel can be 1/2" and the other a 3/4" diameter PVC, so you can put a rifle size nozzle (2x or 5x) on the smaller and a cannon size nozzle (10x or 20x) or the larger one. Which creates and M203 style rifle/grenade launcher.
Last edited by Hawk on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

devvo

Post by devvo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:48 pm

the quickfill is easy enough, all it requires is a hozelock connector, short bit of 15mm copper coming out of a check valve a short bit of hose and a jubalee clip holding it on to the copper and the other half of the hozelock connector on the short bit of hose. you have to have good mains pressure or a boosted feed to work though, its what I used on my first soaker.

Captain Galaxy

Post by Captain Galaxy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:26 pm

Assuming what you call a hozelock connector is some sort of quick-connect attachment for a hose, I did something similar, though I used a shutoff valve instead of a check valve, as check valves are somewhat pricey.

Just make sure to use a quick-connect with a shutoff valve, or else you'll have to turn the hose on every time you want to pressurize your gun, plus with CPS guns you get a bunch of air in the PC.

The male end of a quick-connect also works well as a nozzle. The way I have this thing on my gun, it actually works as a Secret Strike sort of thing, however useless that may be.

Also, I would call the 2L homemade more off a fills-with-hose gun rather than a quick-fill gun. Hose couplers are like a QFD, minus the Q.
Last edited by Captain Galaxy on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Long and Prosper