Help with my first air pressurized water gun

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
haeffnkr

Help with my first air pressurized water gun

Post by haeffnkr » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:17 am

Hello,
This is a great site I stumbled across.

I need to shoot geese in my city backyard.

I want to have some kind of air pressurized water gun.
I have a 5 gallon air tank or am handy and have all the tools.

What kind of simple designs are there that would be air pressurized (via air compressor) that would hold a few shots of a far and small stream?

thanks Kevin

C-A_99

Re: Help with my first air pressurized water gun

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:25 am

You can get 50-65ft of range for most homemades that are easy to build. An air compressor isn't really necessary and only works for designs that don't pressurize from a non-pressurized source. (i.e. Pressurized reservoir blasters; you're limited to the volume that's initially pressurized, all in one tank, and the larger the tank gets, the worse the pressure dropoff gets so more pumping is required as the water is used up.)

Any idea on how much range and power you need? If you just need to scare geese away, I think any old water gun from a store will do.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:22 pm

C-A_99 wrote:Pressurized reservoir blasters...the larger the tank gets, the worse the pressure dropoff gets
I don't think that's right. On the contrary, with a fixed air/water ratio, initial pressure, and same nozzle size, the rate of pressure drop with time for the larger tank will be less. Of course the larger one does take longer to pump.

Pressurised reservoirs will actually offer less stream dropoff than a non-pre-charged separate PC. It's also quite easy to choose the fill level and maximum pressure such that performance remains acceptable right until the last of the water is gone, since even the last dregs can be pushed out with a good pressure.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:49 pm

If you want a really cheap water gun, go for a pressurised reservoir gun (I'm not sure if there's a guide to making one here)
If you want better performance go for the APH on this site.
I'm a dude

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:37 pm

PR's offer less dropoff because air is easy to keep adding in. The larger volume's dropoff issue pertains more to having to pump more and more as the water level decreases to maintain the same range.