Need help with a CPS 1000

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
UmmYeahOk

Need help with a CPS 1000

Post by UmmYeahOk » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:24 pm

Hello, I have a vintage CPS 1000. Its my brothers. I have never used it until now, so I dont know what it was like, but Im pretty sure somethings wrong with it. He was very young when this came out, so Im pretty sure (with the scrapes it has) that it was thrown on the pavement several times. (it is unknown if the gun was stored with water or presure still inside)

I can load it with water with no problem. There is no leakage. I can pump it with no problem, does get a little harder to do after several pumps which I assume it normal with all SSs. And when I pull the trigger a POWERFUL blast of water comes out.

But heres my problem. That powerful burst only occurs for about a half a second. Instantly the beam of water trickles down to nothing. I believe water only comes out for about 2-3 seconds before no water at all comes out. I believe its losing pressure somehow, but I dont know how.

I assume this is not normal as 1) I cant imagine anyone wanting one if its suppost to do that, and 2) from what Ive read, this particular gun is one of those thats highly sought out after. But my old 1990 SS 100 performed 50 times better than this.

I havent inspected its internals yet, as I cant seem to get the orange nozzle off. I heard that I may have to pry it off, but havent been successful as even with the force I give it, Im worried that it will crack.

Anyone have any ideas or advice?

UmmYeahOk

Post by UmmYeahOk » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:38 pm

k, Ive got it all open. Everything appears to be fine. Theres only 3 areas I can suspect pressure leakage.

1) would be at the tanks refil cap
2) where the big outer tank connects to the pump
3) where the inner (middle) resevoir ball is connected to the nozzle

Everything appears fine, I cant figure out whats wrong

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:56 am

Welcome to Super Soaker Central! (In the future, it would be nice if you could edit your older post to add in new information unless it's been a day or so. Just prevents clutter. But after a day, it's usually better to post again so people see that there's new information. ;) )

CPS guns don't use air for their power at all. Instead, there's a rubber diaphragm or bulb that expands and applies force to the water inside. So unless you're seeing the actual water leak out somewhere, there's no leakage.

As far as I know, you really can't get a longer shot. Because the output is so high, the little water inside the powerful bladder (it's a small gun for a CPS-series soaker) gets used up very quickly.

There are a few things you can do, though. You can try a nozzle-selector mod to allow different nozzles to be screwed on. You can also use the tap/pump method of firing, which is much more simple than it sounds--just tap the trigger to fire in short bursts, and pump whenever you need to in order to keep the bladder full.

Good luck!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:10 am

Be sure you're pumping to full pressure, until you hear the pressure relief valve. You should be getting at least 3 seconds of shot time on that if you're doing so. (unless you specified the wrong gun)

But yes, in general, most CPS soakers have more output and power per shot and have lower shot times. Be sure not to let the enemy exploit that in your fights by using the tap shooting as suggested above.

UmmYeahOk

Post by UmmYeahOk » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:18 am

I dont know what the pressure relief valve sounds like. But I had my husband pump it after it was put back together. I thought he was actually going to break it, because I heard that over-pumping may harm it, and he was having a very tough time. This guy can pick up engine blocks, so if I see him struggling with a "toy," then too much force is being applied to it. Hes got to be pumping too hard. However it seemed to work after that.

I guess this particular gun is NOT intended for children, and especially not for sissy weak women. Yes it is a CPS 1000, as the sticker is still there, and the pictures I see on the internet match what I have.

Since its pretty banged up, I plan on sanding it down, back to smooth, and painting the light grey areas silver, and the dark purple and neon orange areas gun metal. I think it would look sweet. Do any of you want to see a pic when Im done?

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:02 pm

Hi! Welcome to SSC.

Don't worry about over pumping - it shouldn't damage it*. There are a few facts on the internet that aren't entirely true.

*Except if the Pressure relief valve has been removed. I did manage to destroy one soaker by removing it, and then the pressure chamber blasted apart.

Pictures of painted soakers are always great, so yeah, go for it!
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:17 pm

Pumping it too hard can harm the pump rod, considering the fact that it isn't a guided pump. Also, when the pressure relief valve is going (you'll notice it because it makes a distinct sound from the rest of the check valves and pumping becomes a bit harder) it's still a good idea to stop, one of my gun's pressure relief valved seems to have problems, and light K-mods only allow about 2 pumps. Also, it was leaky before I repaired it.

Agree about the pic. Bring it up if it's not much trouble.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:12 pm

Maybe you could try lubricating the pump with silicon lubricant. Couldn't hurt.

But the fact is that the shot time isn't going to be that great anyway. You could pump up the gun while it's open to see if the rubber bladder expands to the maximum size allowed by the case.

UmmYeahOk

Post by UmmYeahOk » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:59 am

ok, finally got pics. But man, the restrictions this site has on file size, you just may not even bother having an option for attachments.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:39 am

Impressive.

Normally, most users use off-site hosting, and link from there. Attachments aren't used that often, so no-one realises that the file size is so small.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:29 pm

800x600 is about as big as you should get with a forum pic (perhaps with certain exceptions which almost never show up here), and even then you may opt for something smaller, such as 640x480, for the stone-age users still on dial-up. I typically use imageshack for hosting, having pics disappearing is very rare, unlike the many cases I've seen with other image hosting.

Anyways, very nice paint job.

UmmYeahOk

Post by UmmYeahOk » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:42 pm

I hate sites like Photo bucket and image share. Youre pic is there for a day, and then it gone. I dont know if its a time limit issue, or bandwidth. One of the reasons its annoying, is when you DONT want to look like a stupid newb, and DO infact use the search feature all forums have... ...you find the info you need, its only a couple months old, but sorry, expired.

Thats why I use my own server. I can review my posts from 4 years ago, no matter how many people have looked at them, and my pics are all still there. With the attachment feature on forums, pics usually last over a year or so. The reason my pics are so small, was because I kept skrinking and shrinking, to get them to upload. They were at 350 pixels before I gave up, and hosted them myself.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:55 pm

Pics on imageshack almost never disappear, and I've used it for several years. Just make sure you keep the URL of the image, or create an account to keep track of them. Overall, it's a pretty reliable hosting service.