Anyone else mad when...

Threads about water gun modifications.
vaporizer28

Post by vaporizer28 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:47 pm

You open your soaker, and almost all the screws are different sizes?

I don't like trying to mod my XP 270 and Vaporizer for that reason.

^This was made by Superstormer. What, do you think it got here on its own?

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:14 pm

Take chalk and mark the heads of the long screws and the holes they came out of one color and the short screws along with the holes they came out of another color. ^_^ If the chalk doesn't show on the soaker body then get the chalk wet.

I don't get mad at the screw sizes.

vaporizer28

Post by vaporizer28 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:44 pm

Yo, thanks Crashdummy. Now I won't bite/throw/gnaw on my soakers. Sweet idea, dude. I'll try that.

^This was made by Superstormer. What, do you think it got here on its own?

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:26 pm

When opening a soaker there are a few good things to remember. Also look in the Tech Section of the website to find more information. Here are a few methods for making the opening of your soaker a bit easier.

---------------------
Materials Needed:
---------------------
pen/pencil/sharpie
tools to open soaker (screwdriver, chisel for some nozzles, etc)
masking tape

First count how many screws there are. Take that number and multiply by 2, thats how many pieces of masking tape you want to rip off, each about a half inch long. When you take out a screw, put a piece of tape next to the hole with a corresponding letter or number (numbers are easier for me) and place the screw on a piece of tape so it does not get lost. Place that piece of tape with the screw attached in a row, starting from left to right, in order corresponding with the screw hole So if you took 1 screw out, and put a piece of masking tape near the hole labeled "1", you would want to put that screw in the first slot of your row, the 2nd in the 2nd slot, and so on. When you are done, you will have the correct screws to fit in the correct places, just keep track of everything, be organized, and you should be fine.

edit- read up on a few of these articles.
Article 1
Article 2

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:59 pm

Don't use chalk for marking the heads! Chalk is washed off by water, and there gerenally is a lot of the stuff around when you open water guns up.
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:16 pm

I really don't see why carefully marking screws and paying close attention to sizes is so important. I've always just used common sense: longer screws go in the more important or thicker areas of the soaker. Shorter screws go in places like the handle, pump shaft, etc. And it makes no difference whatsoever unless you force a long screw into a small hole. If you just look at the length of the screws and check the length of the holes, you can see where they all roughly go. The gun will still work if screws are in the "wrong" holes. It makes closing your gun so much faster and easier if you just use plain common sense. Such a simple thing really doesn't need so much complication IMHO.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:03 pm

Originally posted by Duxburian@Jan 25 2005, 03:16 PM
I really don't see why carefully marking screws and paying close attention to sizes is so important.  I've always just used common sense: longer screws go in the more important or thicker areas of the soaker.  Shorter screws go in places like the handle, pump shaft, etc.  And it makes no difference whatsoever unless you force a long screw into a small hole.  If you just look at the length of the screws and check the length of the holes, you can see where they all roughly go.  The gun will still work if screws are in the "wrong" holes.  It makes closing your gun so much faster and easier if you just use plain common sense.  Such a simple thing really doesn't need so much complication IMHO.
[snapback]21560[/snapback]

The goal of my method was to get it correct, and done right the first time. If you don't do it right the first time, I'm pretty sure you have time to do it all over again if you misplace a screw or two. If you want to do it faster, than fine. Good, quality work for a novice takes time and patience. Get it right the first time, their won't be any fuss later, a good lesson in soaker opening and life in general. Just keep track of all the screws you take out. I never said to use chalk on your soaker. I said to mark numbers in pen or pencil and stick the tape near the hole.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:39 pm

Eh. So you lose a few screws, no big deal. A lot of my soakers don't have all their screws. I really don't see why it would matter so much. Seeing how all that matters is that its together.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:56 am

It doesn't even matter if you lose multiple screws. My CPS 4100 has lost more than half of its screws and it still works fine. If you're used to modding the placement of the screws is the last thing I would worry about. Of course if you are a first time modder than you might as well keep track of the screws, but it really isn't necessary at all.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:27 pm

Originally posted by Commander_Gaunt@Jan 25 2005, 06:59 AM
Don't use chalk for marking the heads! Chalk is washed off by water, and there gerenally is a lot of the stuff around when you open water guns up.
[snapback]21545[/snapback]

Before I even begin to take the screws out I give the gun I will be working on a quick blow of an air compressor. When opening the gun water will be on the inside, not effecting the chalk. Now, like everyone else has said, I just flat out don't care if I get the sizes wrong. it doesn't do anything bad to the soaker.

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:33 pm

I agree with Dux. My XP310 has lost about five screws, so what? It makes no difference whatsoever. They're all different sizes, but by using common sense I can get them all back in the right place. I did first time, it's not hard.
Visit <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Sam's Supercars

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color :o range'><span style='font-family:Arial'><u>My Weaponry</u>
CPS2100 (Thank You King Soaker&#33 ;)
1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000
1 XP310 w/my own power mod and 8 balloon XPS mod
2 piston-pistols (backup)