Repairing PVC pipe

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
SSCBen

Repairing PVC pipe

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:01 am

Most people know that you should put some space between fittings so that if you need to repair you can cut the pipe at that spot and rebuild one part. And you also can use threaded parts whenever you can if you want the option to disassemble or upgrade the water gun later. But there's another potentially useful method I didn't know about until today. Check this out: http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/repair- ... t6584.html

Special drill bits will make holes at the size of PVC pipe so you can reuse fittings. They're a little expensive but if you own them I'm sure you can save money on some projects when you need to do repairs or upgrades.

aEx155

Re: Repairing PVC pipe

Post by aEx155 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:24 am

Interesting...I was thinking about the same thing the other day; removing the old piece of PVC pipe and filing the socket smooth so the pipe will fit.

I didn't know there was an actual drill bit made for this. I'm going to try and get my hands on one, but at + $20, I don't think that's going to happen...

Here is the link to where you can get them. It doesn't look like the same thing, but it was there (I found it in the link Ben gave):
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcsaver.html

EDIT: Here is one for 3/4" that is the same as the one in the other forum.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:33 am

That's awesome! Little mishaps are nothing for that thing. I'd imagine that if you've accidentally put the thing together incorrectly, this would be a valuable tool to fix the problem. Nice find.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:03 am

I prefer the method some spudgun builders use - screws through the side of the fitting and pipe, along with a rubber seal inside. Having a dozen screws through tapped holes is practically unbeatable in terms of seal and flexibility, and it's a lot more compact than threaded fittings.