Ultimate Battlefields

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
DX

Ultimate Battlefields

Post by DX » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:58 pm

There is a similar topic buried at iScF, but that is mainly for dream battlefields and less for real ones. This is for existing battlefields that awe you beyond anything you've seen before.

Since I was in Duxbury over the weekend, I had an excellent chance to do some more exploration of the massive forest in the center of town. I filled up the camera card [about 160 pictures]. The thing is so much bigger than I originally thought - took three hours to circumnavigate the central reservoir.

There are bridges I didn't know about, there are ponds I didn't know about, observation decks, even a dock and a mountain I didn't know about. On the Western shore, the ridges suddenly converge up into something that absolutely blows Goffle's High Point away. High Point is perhaps 50ft tall, this thing is perhaps 500ft tall. You can see across the entire lake, but you still can't see across a quarter of the park!

In addition to the red and blue trails, I found a yellow trail and a green trail. Part of the yellow trail leads you into this eerie area along the southern shore of the lake. The trees are enormous and spaced out. It is already overwhelming, but then you throw in the view of the northern hills across the lake. There's also a windswept point in the area, which is mostly bare of vegetation for some reason. Behind it is a second dark forest, though much smaller than the first.

In addition to the peninsula on the north shore, there's a larger one on the west shore. Turns out that the point is actually an island, connected by a series of wooden beams over the water. Sweet fort in a naval battle.

What else...there's a steep hill on the east side that the green trail skirts around - would also make an excellent defensive position. In the corner there's an area where this certain kind of frog makes the most creepy sound. Alone it would be nothing, but there must be thousands of them. Made the hair on the back of my neck rise.

As sweet as this place is, it still creeps me out in a few areas. Most of it feels entirely safe, but there are parts of the interior east where you're walking along and suddenly hear a bunch of dogs start barking. The guy living on the edge of Hounds Ditch keeps about 5 dogs, however, you can't tell whether the barking is his dogs or coyotes. The sounds I heard weren't nice and smooth like normal barking, so I decided that the red trail could wait for another day. This is not a place for night battles.

I still have only explored a fraction of the forest's land area. Already, you could have an epic battle with a thousand men and still take an hour to find the other team.

Pictures coming when I have time.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!