Help on getting started. (Advice please)

General water gun discussion.
Eruco

Help on getting started. (Advice please)

Post by Eruco » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:02 pm

Hi so here's the situation, I never owned SuperSoakers as a kid, I'm now 18 and my church is having a weekly water fight every Wednesday, And I've decided it's the right time to get one I have about 40$ to work with and just need a basic setup (Probably will only be like 2-3 other people with smaller supersoakers and the rest with hand thrown ballons) , After doing a little research the setup I'm thinking about going for

:: Super Soaker, Soaker Tag Elite: Flash Flood (Possibly with the cap removed on the CPS and a 3-5 layer colossus)
And the
Super Soaker Aqua Shock Back Pack,

What say you oh guru's of the splashy wetness!

Silence

Re: Help on getting started. (Advice please)

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:21 am

Sounds good.

Water wars can be more fun when all the water guns are about the same strength, so it's probably a good idea not to bring in a CPS 2000. A Flash Flood is a good bet...I'm not sure if you need the backpack or a colossus, though, because there's probably a good water supply available and the water gun may already be powerful enough.

Anyway, good luck and have fun. :cool:

Eruco

Post by Eruco » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:37 am

I think the first week I'll take your advice and go with just the FF with string straps added possibly,And see if I wanna upgrade after that. I know of 3 targets in town (Memphis TN) that have FF going for under 20$ and in stock so should be easy enough.

I can't seem to find any videos of the normal shot of the FF,A lot of reviews say it's underpowered but everything on youtube is "Hey look *Flashflood*".

I wish on the CPS 2000 just have to keep a lookout at thrift stores.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:24 pm

The Flash Flood's a good gun. However, it lacks great long-range soakage. The big blast is a killer close-up, but the stream nozzle's only average. The backpack's a nice bonus, but you may not need it much. Also there's a known issue with the FF's reservoir getting damaged when used with the backpack.

If you're into modding, one possibility is to fit a stream nozzle, say about a 5x, in place of the flood nozzle. I've done that on my Arctic Blast, with OK results.

Alternatives could be the larger Water Warriors. The PulseMaster packs a punch but has a very short shot time. The Tiger Shark is reasonable. I'm told the Blazer/Expedition and Vindicator are also good.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Chernobyl

Post by Chernobyl » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:56 pm

Hi I'm new to super soakers and I'm starting to build my own armoury anyone have any ideas on how to get started.

Thanks

Curt

Post by Curt » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:10 pm

Well If you are on a budget I would consider getting the
Water Warriors Vindicator. It cost about 20$ at target and in my mind its better than any gun SS has made in the past few years.

Its performance is not far from the old SS CPS Guns.
Last edited by Curt on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eruco

Post by Eruco » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:40 pm

So target has decided to stop selling the FF and I ended up getting a vindicator,
I was wondering if anyone has tried a colossus or similar on a Vindicator?

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:10 am

I don't know of anyone who has bothered (or dared? :p ) to open up the water gun's reservoir to see what the pressure chamber is like. iSoaker speculated it's a spherical rubber bladder, which calls for a K-mod instead.
Last edited by Silence on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eruco

Post by Eruco » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:57 am

While doing a Nozzle expansion on the Vindicators smallest setting (turned it into a Cannon shot about twice as big as the biggest), I realized how tough it would be to mod,Tough but not impossible the tank is not under pressure so any peace you removed would just need to seal solidly and not seal solidly under varying degrees of pressure. I might try it if I get brave one day will take plenty of photo's if I do.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:43 am

First things first. Stock up on refill bottles; they are VERY helpful in 1 hit kill games if you happen to use a lot of ammo, though they won't replenish your reservoir as quickly for soakfests. Still, they make great melee weapons (i.e. dump the bottle's water on the target) if you're caught at close range without any pressure in any guns you're carrying.

I'd recommend starting with the Flash Flood and/or Vindicator, Tiger Shark, or other similar blasters. (the Vindicator's a good start) If you got the FF, you'd definitely want something to back up the Flash Flood that can also hold a decent amount of water. If you don't colossus nor backpack the FF (which shouldn't be terribly necessary anyways), you'll want to at least drill the small nozzle a bit, but that may hurt the stream lamination which would negate any range advantage you'd get. (drilling a conical nozzle like the FF's tends to cause lamination problems.)

If you can't find a FF, you could look for pistols instead. (not squirt guns, small air pressure guns) A good one is the Max-D 2000, but it has limited capacity, output, and is more difficult to refill due to the smaller reservoir opening. However, it's grip is IMO, the best of all available pistols you can find from Super Soaker. The WW line probably holds good pistols too, but it may take some searching. The Meijer in my area tends to carry a lot of them but I've seen them at WalMart too.

Last, stock up on water balloons if you think you can use them effectively. You don't have to carry them all filled - they can be filled up during battle from most guns.