Pressure in a CPS system?

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
wetmonkey442

Pressure in a CPS system?

Post by wetmonkey442 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:13 pm

Does anyone have any idea as to the extent of pressure cause by an elastic bladder? Specifically, I'm interested in the amount of pressure normally generated by a mid-size cylindrical elastic bladder (like that in a CPS 4100).

With air-pressure applications I can easily calculate these sorts of things, but I'm lost when it comes to elastics! I'm curious because I am currently building a CPS homemade and many of the valves are being made from scratch in order to save weight and increase customization. If I know the maximum PSI generated by a full elastic bladder, I can determined which materials I want to use in construction.

Thanks!
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

cantab

Re: Pressure in a CPS system?

Post by cantab » Fri May 06, 2011 2:25 pm

If you know the the chamber's unexpanded dimensions, and its dimensions when a given amount of water is pumped in, you can determine the strain. If you then know the elastic modulus of the rubber you can calculate the stress in the rubber, and from that the pressure in the water.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier: