CPS2100 Check Valve Problem

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Hyperion330

(Fixed, soon-to-be) CPS2100 Check Valve Problem

Post by Hyperion330 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:20 am

After an unsuccessful k-mod attempt (used 9" balloons...), it seems my CPS2100 will only take ~3 pumps before the check valve kicks fluid out of the PC area. Am I interpreting the problem correctly and is there a way to fix it other than a CVF?
Last edited by Hyperion330 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You ain't tellin' nobody nothin'." - Dexter Colt

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:14 pm

The only repair for a prematurely acting pressure relief valve is a check valve freeze.

Problems like this are likely caused by the rubber/spring in the valve becoming weaker or things being stuck in the valve. Either one isn't very easy to fix directly, so you have to remove the entire valve.

Good luck with the repair. :)

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:29 pm

Exactly how many balloons did you use? After a certain point, the force from the new PC bladder is too strong for the check valve even after only a couple of pumps, so one of the recommended things to do with a K-mod is a CVF. However, the tide is turning and now smaller K-mods are recommended, so you could just cut down on the amount of balloons and see if that works. That said, you should never overpump anyway if you do a CVF, and that's for obvious reasons...

And also, the term CVF might be changed to PRVF ("pressure release valve freeze"), but I suppose that isn't too important...

Hyperion330

Post by Hyperion330 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:25 pm

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna need to get more epoxy...
"You ain't tellin' nobody nothin'." - Dexter Colt

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:20 pm

My 27K works fine with 32 10" balloons, so I guess 9" may be a little small....

It hurls water ridiculous distances - I've never really managed to measure it.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:57 pm

@ joannaardway: But the question is, did you do a pressure release valve freeze or not? Perhaps Hyperion330 could remove balloons one by one until the valve does not kick in immediately after pumping, and he would probably experience the performance boost without the danger of anything blowing out.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:51 am

The traditional cut-off number for when you need a pressure release valve freeze is 45 balloons. If you reduce balloons down to the 30s or 40s, the problem should go away completely.

Currently, k-mods in the 30s without a freeze are popular. Lightly k-modding over an integration, plus nozzle and stream work could still give one 60ft range, or at least the mid-high 50s. Heavy k-mods kill trigger valves over time, so they are not really worth their power unless you don't mind regular maintenance and eventually the trigger valve replacement repair. I've had 6 68-95 balloon 21Ks over the past 3 years, so I know their "life cycle" pretty well. Well enough to discourage the heavy balloon loads of the past.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:45 pm

No PRVD for this one.

I like keeping the PRV on CPS soakers, mostly because of the "pump jams" that occur when the "bladder" reaches the walls.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston