Trigger valve replacement

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
SSCBen

Trigger valve replacement

Post by SSCBen » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:07 am

I am nearing completion of a trigger valve replacement repair on my Super Soaker CPS 2700. As some of you may recall, the trigger valve broke before and I repaired it with epoxy. The trigger valve broke again in 2003 and has been broken ever since. The trigger valve has been replaced with a PVC ball valve now.

Several months ago I felt that it would be best to make a guide to this repair because it could save a lot of broken water guns. Not too many people have performed this repair before (I believe Duxburian has), and from my experience people do not think for themselves and really need a guide or something to give them ideas.

Pictures will be available tomorrow after the PVC cement dries. I'll let you guys know how the repair carries out. There have been no problems so far and I do not anticipate any.

Afterwards, I will add many more balloons to the CPS chamber because the valves allow me to do so. The PVC is much stronger than the cheap plastic Hasbro used during the construction of my Super Soaker CPS 2700 and will allow for much more stress. I'll start by adding 45 more balloons onto the 45 I already have. After a PC expansion modification, I may consider more.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:40 pm

Repair complete. No testing has been done as of yet because I am waiting for the PVC cement to fully cure.

A picture of the finalized repair is available: http://www.sscentral.org/images/dscn0373.jpg

I do not expect any other problems from this water gun, not that any new repair would matter much because this Super Soaker CPS 27000 is half-homemade now. If the situation got worse, I probably would turn the water gun into a homemade water gun simply by using the PC with PVC fittings and pipe.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:38 am

An update: I have not been able to get the pump to work yet. I am assuming that the seal has been damaged in some way during the storage. The problem appears to be completely with the pump's ability to take in water. I will investigate after I return from my trip (please see our news for more information about the trip). This problem most likely can be fixed with vaseline and some electrical tape. If the pump really is damaged beyond repair, I will replace the seal with one from a broken Nerf gun I have, another relatively unknown repair like the trigger valve replacement.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:10 pm

Another update:

The pump is working good now, however I still will need to repair the seal because some air is being pumped in with each pump.

As for the repair, it worked out beautifully. This hopefully will be a common repair in the future. It almost seems as if I got more power out of my Super Soaker CPS 2700 from simply replacing the valve, which in theory would happen.