Forced Logins again?

Discussion of other water gun websites.
isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:08 pm

Just noticed today the reinstatement of needing visitors to login before they can view any of the forums. Any particular reason why this was reinstated for the whole board? I understand having some sections that perhaps are best only viewed by members, but does the entire board need to be? Just curious...

Basically, I browse here from various computers and, well, since some are more public, I'd rather not have to login in order to check the basic forums. Maybe I'm being too picky. :P

B)
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:12 pm

On the login screen, you have the choice of staying logged in (which is unchecked) or having to log out afterwards. Basically it's up to the person who logs in to choose that. If you visit this forum from different computers, it will force you to login and make this choice. I'm not sure if that's your answer or not, but I hope that helps.
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:17 pm

I made this decision a few weeks ago, it is a trial as of now. My thinking is that you must be fairly dedicated to look for water gun sites in the winter. People like Spinner and Duxburian came in the winter. When I required logins this past summer, we ended up with literally hundreds of less mature members. Also, there are much less members in the southern hemisphere, and those who come around do tend to be more mature. Just an idea of mine, it likely won't be permanent - it hasn't been effective yet.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:28 pm

[at] Monsoon: Uh... I already am fully aware about having the choice to stay logged in or not, but that wasn't my question.

As for Doom's reply, that just further confuses me. If forced logins in the past resulted in an increase in 'less mature' members, isn't that a bad thing?

Well, just stating my beef. :P I'll still log in if need be.

B)

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:35 pm

I had a funny feeling someone would say something. Oh well, that's what I get for helping people at my level of understanding.
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:43 pm

Hmm...don't think I said what I meant correctly. I meant that if you look for water gun sites in the winter, you likely are more mature and know what you're doing (hence dedicated), and forcing a registration at this time may get more mature members.

I am turning this off in favor of adding a more reasonable message.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:42 pm

I've replaced the Forced Logins with an annoying message at the top of the forum. This is a compromise, you can still browse, but still have a reason to join. Again, this is on a trial basis, I'd like to see what our members think of it (the idea came from Something Awful BTW).

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:27 pm

Interesting, but that message and image are pretty huge when appearing on all the pages if not logged in. Well, if it works for here, it works.
B)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:48 pm

It's meant to be large and annoying. I am still in the process of making it disappear on the Log In and Registration pages. If I can't do that, then I likely will remove the message.

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:02 am

That is really anoying(SP) so I guess you did a good job on the annoyance(SP) :Hey, that's funny.:
Soak, or be soaked that is the question!

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:01 pm

I don't find it too annoying. In fact I like the picture. :Hey, that's funny.: I don't log out anyway. I'm always logged in. Too much of a bother to log in every time you come to the forums.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci