Easy to Pump Big Pump

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
chaosfox97

Easy to Pump Big Pump

Post by chaosfox97 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:54 pm

I was browsing the physics section and thought of something after looking at the Hydraulic Pressure Multiplication and Pump Forces and Diameters articles. In the latter, it says a smaller pump requires less energy, but pumps less per, and thus, a large diameter pump requires more energy, but pumps more per. I propose that you have a large diameter pump, perhaps 3/4" or 1", with a free moving piston in the non-gun-attached end and in the gun-attached end a slight reduction to prevent it from going to far.. Then, a reducer attached to that end to reduce it to small diameter pump, probably... 1/2"?, then filled with hydraulic fluid of some sort, and seal that fluid in by putting another piston in the new smaller tube (and remove the air somehow,) with a rod or other handle attached. The volume of the smaller tube should be close to the volume of large tube. Using the Pascal Principle, we should now be able to pump a large quantity of water quickly and easily.
I am unofficially patenting and copyrighting this!
:mad: NO COPYING! :mad:

You can use this all you want, you just better not say it was your idea.

soakernerd

Re: Easy to Pump Big Pump

Post by soakernerd » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:38 am

This has been proposed before. There was some contention as to how well it would work, but it uses the exact same principle: Looky here!
Pessimist: These blasters hold no water
Optimist: But their small output means they last just as long
Marketing: Huge blasts of water!
user: I shot it at an angle and it went a whole ten feet!

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:45 am

It sounds like you're just describing the diagram in the Hydraulic Pressure Multiplication article...I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

Anyway, I'm reasonably confident there's no way to get "something for nothing". In order to reduce pumping force - or increase the maximum pressure for a given maximum force - you must increase the amount of pumping you have to do.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

chaosfox97

Post by chaosfox97 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:10 pm

soakernerd wrote:This has been proposed before. There was some contention as to how well it would work, but it uses the exact same principle: Looky here!
I skimmed over it today but I don't have time to look at it closely. It does seem similar though, and I even read a part asking if it should be used for piston guns like his or as a pump for APHs and CPSs. Although Ben said it would do much because the tube is small, but I think it will because I'm proposing a ~1/2" to ~1" or maybe bigger.

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:20 pm

haha, whatever you do, you will always need THE SAME AMMOUNT OF ENERGY to pressurized the same volume of water in the same time :p

You cannot pressurize the double ammount of water in half time with less energy...

-->golden rule of mechanic^^ Whatever you win in time or space is lost in energy, so everything stays the same in the end.

Less time, bigger pump-volume = more energy needed
Less energy, less pump-volume = more time needed
A gunner has to do what his Soaker requires...

chaosfox97

Post by chaosfox97 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:45 pm

Alright, just wondering about it. So that pretty much wraps this up. *closes*