water gun project; no pressure chamber

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
edza

water gun project; no pressure chamber

Post by edza » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi this is my first build but before i start i wont your opinion on the design, instead of pumping pressured water in to a separate chamber, i will pump air into the resovoir to preassure the water, heres a picture:
watergun1.jpg

press it to get full size, you cant se the stouff else
All the green stuff is pipes, dint care to draw them in depth
Tell me what you think sins im a noob and its my first build. :) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D

cantab

Re: water gun project; no pressure chamber

Post by cantab » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:53 pm

You need to run a tube from the nozzle to the lower rear of the reservoir, otherwise you'll shoot air.

Also, you may as well use a bike pump for a pressurised-reservoir blaster.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

edza

Post by edza » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:57 pm

Thats how i have done it,the white thing is only suport. Is it cheaper to build a pump than bying one?????

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:03 pm

Water pumps generally have to be built. Air pumps will be cheaper to buy.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

edza

Post by edza » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:14 pm

OK thanks! :)

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:32 pm

I am sure it is much easier ( and faster ) to pump water into a Air-PC instead of pumping air into a water reservoir...

The main reason for this is that if pressure raises in the Chamber, the air you pump in, is depressed very very strong, till the check valve opens. The more pressure you have in your Chamber, the more air is depressed inside the pump. If you have got some little death-space(you always have some), you will suddenly be unable to pump further air into the Chamber. The average pump volume will also be reduced, the more pressure inside the Chamber, the less air will be pumped in, till no air is pushed into it anymore...

If you pump water into a Air-PC, you will always get in the same ammount of water each stroke. just keep pumping, because water is incompressible.

During act of firing you also have to pump a lot to keep same range.

Prae-pressurize a Air-watergun with a PC(e.g. XP 270) and then the stream will act like about CPS.

Another disadvantage of a pressurized reservoir is that you cannot refill your reservoir, when your gun is 1/2 full. Whenever you open the reservoir all the pressure is lost...

It is also fact that Air-waterguns with a PC have MUCH better range then reservoir-pressurized ones...

Compare SS 300 with XXP275 or XP 65 or xxx

You see it is better(and probably easier) to build a APH with a extra PC^^
A gunner has to do what his Soaker requires...

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:03 pm

Those are all correct. The main advantages of the pressurised-reservoir design are simplicity and compactness.
Arsenal:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:31 pm

If you're going with the PR design anyways, remember to keep it fairly compact; usually 1L is the maximum capacity used; any more requires too much pumping when the tank starts to run dry.

Instead of having a draw tube, I would suggest having a "draw hole" at the bottom end closer to where the shooter is. A hole generally carries water better than pushing it through a tube, though diameter is the main matter in this case. The nozzle would then be in-line and be placed beneath the reservoir.

edza

Post by edza » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:17 am

Ok il stick with separate pressurechambers, Is there any gun in particular that i should copy the design from???

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:39 am

In general I like nearly all XPs :) But I would prefer to build up a totally new design, be creativ :D

edza

Post by edza » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:01 am

Ok heres my new design i tried to make it as compact as possible:
watergun2.jpg
Will it work to have the resovoir beneath the pc's and nozzle??

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:19 am

That design looks good and the trigger (which can be a problem with homemade water guns) looks like it'll work very well
I'm a dude

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:31 am

ok, your gun is theoretically working...Now you have to give it a real shape :D

Good luck, we are here to help you^^ ;)

edza

Post by edza » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Ok thanks for the feedback il get supplies soon, idk where cuz i live in Norway but maby i can buy the pipes from my local plumber?

What do you think of this nozzle design, il fit a normal garden hose nozzle on it, but on the end il have a rotating nozzle selector, that will give me the best of both worlds; an ergonomic shape, and the ability to change nozzle fast.
heres a pic:
watergun5.jpg
Last edited by edza on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:45 pm

If I were you, I would install the nozzle-selector's fixment underneath not above the gun, but that is just what I would do, so it is up to you ;)